Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Braindead302, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Braindead302

Jan 5, 2001
    I know that there are MANY experienced bassists here, which I can tell from just reading some of the replies. I'm hoping some of you bassists can give me your opinions on my practise.

I normally practise an hour a day, which usually consists of me either sitting on my bed, figuring out interesting tunes, sitting in front of the TV playing things I already know, or in front of the computer, looking up challenging tabs. I felt a great deal of progression. I've been playing bass for about 5-6 months now, I am in a Metal band called Negative Speed, and we are progressing well. Anyway, any suggestions on how to progress even further or strategies? it would be greatly appreciated. If you want to look me up on ICQ so we can talk bass, I am at 73352828
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, there's really a million and one different ways to learn something, and it all comes down to what works best for you. I know a lot of people here can chime in with different ideas, but what I'll say is just a couple of things:

1) Work toward quality practice time. Quality over quantity. Those are words to live by. Obviously, the more you play the bass, the better. And if you're doing something like watching TV, then your time can much better be utilized by also playing bass, but when you do sit down to practice, have an idea of exactly what you want to do. Personally, I'm a very organized and detailed person, so for me, I like to have clear goals for practicing, like what I want to work on, sight reading, ear training, playing covers, playing scales, playing etudes, drills, etc. If that's not for you, no problem, just make the most of the time you set aside for practicing. Try and avoid distractions. I turn my phone off, and don't answer the door, or watch TV.

2) Although there are many great bass players that are self-taught, and probably a lot of good talkbassers that are self-taught, it is my strong personal belief that nothing helps more than lessons with an instructor. Preferably one-on-one. When I've had an instructor, I've progressed ten times faster than when I did not have one.

4) In my opinion, a simple etude is more worthwhile than the most challenging of tabs. For one reason, when you learn a tab, there you go, now you know one new song! Great! But, when you learn an etude or some other song actually written with them note thingies on that staff thingie, you have really just learned the foundation to millions of songs. Cheesy maybe, but in my opinion, true.

That's from the top of my head. Either way, good luck.
  3. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Sight reading is definitely something to practice. It's one of the most worthwhile skills to learn.
  4. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    well i get up at 5 AM and get 2 hours of practicing in. At this time i mainly work at technique, reading, scales etc.
    Then when i get home from school i get up to another 2 hours in working on what i want.
    It's just simple discipline.