Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practising

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Crazic, Apr 18, 2002.

1. what do you guys actually practise
    do you do excercises, other bands songs, your own songs, improv?
    just interested

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All of the above, usually while browsing the General Instruction forum.

This is where this thread belongs, btw. ;)

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Reinforce what you do know then move onto working on something you dont. Work on covers by ear and then work on creating new stuff.

Or

Spend all day in Off Topic and kid yourself that you are improving by doing so

One of these was said in jest

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    don't get ahead of yourself....lately when I practice I've been doing ALOT of simple muscle rudiments...why? because for like 2 years all I did was stupid slap ****, and though others thought I was amazing or whatever, my foundation was weak....I had neglected the basics and jumped into the fun stuff....now I'm rebuilding my foundation, and I feel like I've improved greatly in alot less time now that I'm studying scales and rudiments and stuff like that....but also I practice songs I know, getting the feel of the groove, and I write some stuff...but mostly just noddling :(

5. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    how long do you spend on each techinique though? like a 1.2 hr on just regular finger style? 1/2 on slap and a 1.2of strumming etc etc?

6. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    lately ive been practising my standard notation skills and site reading and (ive been pretty damn happy with the results:D ). i'll usually work on scales and the stuff i play with my band. and then after that i reward myself with some slap and pop stuff.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you have to ask, you aren't doing enough.

Actually if you see it as a chore,.... I dont know what to say.:(

Well anyways, I say whenever you feel like grabbing your bass, just have fun with it. IMO thats the best way to practice. By having fun with it, be it playing your favorite song, or just flying alover the fretboard comming up with riffs. Just keep practicing untill you dont want to. If you dont get any better or dont enjoy it, then it wasnt meant to be.

Music is entertainment! Listen to it, play it, enjoy it! Otherwise your working, and who wants to do that. Lets face it, you and I and all other musicians know that picking up the bass was our attempt at escaping from that terible reality of life called the day job. Do yourself a favor and make sure you dont make it one.

Peace
    Nick