Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practive Schedule

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by OldDawg, Sep 20, 2003.

1. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Regretfully I don't make my living playing so my time to practice is limited. I was wondering if you could recommend what would be a good practice schedule for someone with only an hour or two a day. What percentage of the time to give to technique, sightreading, etc, etc. My interests are in Jazz and Funk.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    An Hour or two a day - what a luxury. Perhaps it is having 2 kinds at home but I wish I could regularly schedule that time.

Since you don't play for a living, I think there are some things you need to ask yourself. First of all how much do you need to read and how important is it for you. I rarely teach my adult players (mostly recreational or church players) to site read. I do however work on charts with them.

I think practice should be fun. Every few weeks take a moment to prioritize what is important to you. For example, if I have a gig with a lot of reading coming up, I'll devote more time to it. With BassQuake coming up on Saturday, I am spending a bit more time working on those elements that I'll need for that show. Once you prioritize, create a program that both fun and effective. I will usually get through the things that I need to first. This is based on the #1 priority that I determined earlier. Secondly, I will take a book or method that I like or is new and do some review. In this way I can add new elements to my playing. I tend to look at the trechnique very broadly and work it in more detail over time. The last part of my practicing has to do with creation. I will try to incorporate some of the ideas I worked on (or from a previous gig) into my work. This could be a new wrinkle on an existing songor a new arrangment.

As for time on each exercise - this is variable and based on my level of frustration. If something is frustrating, I put it aside and work on something else, coming back to the frustrating idea later or on another day. I do this in order to keep my practice and therefore my playing fresh and inspiring

Mike