Praise and Worship/Gospel Music Bassists

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grant22, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    What kind of strings to most of these players use, not brand, but type of string.

2. I would probably say you could get away with anything, because it seems to me the continuing trend in church sound is to give the bass a good bit of bottom and fatness, but limited mids and almost non-existant highs. That philosophy rules out the need for a brighter string, like a stainless roundwound. Style-wise, I always thought of gospel as more of a flatwound genre, but go for a brighter flatwound so you still retain a lot of versatility.

If flats aren't your thing (I use TI Jazz Flats on a fretless J-bass and I love it, plus the sound works well for our church's needs) then start thinking maybe in terms of durability and cost. Most church sound isn't exactly "hi-fi" so you don't have to buy the best strings out there, just something that works.

Come to think of it, I would suggest a good nickle roundwound because it will give you a good blend of rock punch and warmness.

And as much as you might not want it, you're going to have to consider brand because the sound of a certain type of string can varry huge amounts from brand to brand. And if nothing else, read some of the reviews on

Good luck!
  3. TI Superalloy on the Stambaugh 6, Dean Markley Cold Steels on the Fender Jazz 5, Labella flats on the fretless Stammie 4 & the cheapest D'Addarios on the DB.
  4. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I use Sadowsky SBF45B Flatwounds on my Sadowsky VRevPJ5 for P&W. Great sound!
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    TI flats on an alder / rosewood jazz bass are very cool for supporting a band. The TIs can punch and cut if needed. I played a service a few weeks ago with my old jazz bass and flats and my wife said the sound was awesome. On Christmas Eve I went back to the Sadowsky with rounds. Good sound but different.

6. What about players who slap alot like in the black gospel arena? Do you think they are also using flats or nickel rounds?
    I was just wondering about this while driving to work today.
  7. Flatwound strings don't lend themselves to the slapping/popping as well as roundwounds. When I have tried that with flats, it just sounds like mud, with no brightness or clarity. Roundwounds bring out the dynamics of slapping better. Not that you can't use flats, I just don't find them to sound good for that technique.
  8. The Ones I Know Use Flatwounds...
    but i like My Roundwound D'add ProSteels.
  9. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    All six of our bassists use round wound strings on electric bass. I have flats on my P but haven't played it @ church yet.

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
  11. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

For modern / contemp gospel, I like using Labella Hard rockin' Steels.......for thicker low end and thump, Chromes.
  12. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    D'Addario EXL 170-5SL Nickel Wound

13. I currently am using Sadowsky flats on my fretless and LaBella Deep Talkin' flats on my fretted. I have also used DA Chrome Flats and TI Jazz Flats. I play the fretless with the Sadowsky flats most of the time.
  14. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    d'addario rounds. I play a 4 though, which is somewhat unconventional for gospel. naveed has inspired me to try d'addario prosteels to see what kind of tones I can get out of them.

15. Dragonz? is that you!?!?!

lol, yes Im a Prosteels whore, i dont think enough people have tried them, so whenever i get a chance to whore them i do. Super Bright isnt false advertising when it comes to these strings, it actually gives my "garbage" Bass(yeah right) that nice tone people complement me on, i think its the only reaosn my tone is like so.
  16. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    All of the bass players in the Gospel/Worship field I know use rounds. I think rounds sound better for that style even if you don't slap and pop.
  17. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Gospel bass players, especially Black Gospel, are going to be using roundwounds, and most will use stainless steel. I'm talking about the guys like Andrew Gouche, Fred Hammond, Maurice Fitzgerald, Terrance Palmer, Joel Smith, etc. These are guys going for a modern, bright tone.
  18. Thats what I was thinking. After listening to many hours of their music I didn't see how flats could give that sound but I have never used them so I didn't know for sure.
  19. I use Chromes on my J bass 4 string (alder/rosewood) and the sound is incredible. Nice fat fundamental, and great sustain. I don't slap or pop. This setup is WORKING for me!
  20. kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    When I played in church, i used the extra light strings for slapping and popping, as well as "shout" music.