1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

praise for acoustic image

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PB+J, Jan 9, 2008.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    For years I used an Acoustic Image Focus SA, a power amp that produced 600 watts and weighs under 4 lbs. I used it for 2.5 years of weekly gigs, in all kinds of situations--in smoky bars, rainy outdoor gigs, the whole thing. I routinely left in it my car all week in the freezing cold and the hot sun. I carried it in an unpadded tool bag. No babying, just hard use.

It finally died on me not long ago, and I called Acoustic Image in Raleigh, NC. They said "just send it in, we'll fix it for free." No questions about where and when I got it, no quibbling or waffling--just send it in. A week later, it comes back, fully refurbished, with an extra carrying case and an extra set of little rubber feet for the bottom (I'd lost one)

In the meantime, I went out and bought an AI Clarus. What a great amp! It's got a great sound, clear and warm, not too crispy/brittle. It's light enough to blow away even though it puts out 400 watts. The Eq section is well voiced and subtle--it's not an amp if you like tonal extremes. The coolest feature is probably the hi-pass filter, which lets you roll off lows below a variable frequency. it's great for removing rumble.

It's especially good for upright payers, since it has an XLR input and phantom power if you want to mic it. But it sounds great with electric bass--very warm, very full sound, tight and responsive without seeming cold.

These amps, I think, get avoided by electric players because they probably seem too uprightish or something. Seriously, check one out--great sound, light, portable, great feature set, fantastic service from a small company

2. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

A huge +1 for Acoustic Image.

I went from a Thunderfunk (which I really liked but was over kill) to a Clarus Series III. I couldn't be happier. I play it with the eq flat and I might roll off a little on the high pass if it's too boomy.

For the record, I'm using a fretless Zon Sonus Special 5 into the Clarus into an EA Wizzy. It's my sound.

LeonD

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Love to hear the above and beyond CS stories from these companies. Those AI guys were smart...for the price of a few rubber feet and a repair, they sold another amp. It's too bad a lot of companies do what they can to get out of helping out people with out of warranty stuff, because it makes sales.

4. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    +1.

I recently bought a Clarus SL (2.5 lb, 150w) to use with bass guitar & a GK 112MBX (12 lbs, 8 ohms). It is all the volume I need with a clean DI when more is wanted. I am very pleased to leave the 15", 45 lb combo in my studio as back up.

5. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    No, they sold the amp because it had a better feature set for my needs--the repair was just the icing on the cake. I was leaning that way anyway

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021