Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Praise for Dominants

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Phil Rowan, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    So I had been an avid gut string user for many years, having studied with the great Dennis Irwin and listening to all that "early" stuff, I had to get that sound. I know for sure that I never had a set that matched. I would change a string at a time depending on how much life it had. I have recordings of myself being nit-picked by Hal Glaper, playing fifths with the bow and plucking them, with the guts on my Kay, and that sound was just HUGE.

Alas, I've gone through some changes, which is what being a person/musician is all about anyway, and after trying Jargars, Garbos, and using Animas for a while (nice string right there), and now that I'm possibly studying on a regular basis with someone who is ridiculously good at playing classical/new/improv/extended technique type stuff, I've wanted to have a string that I don't have to fight as much with the bow (it's hard enough to play the instrument as it is).

I've had the Dominants on for about 3 weeks or so, and they've already started to settle in quite nicely. As with all steel strings (these are nylon core I believe), I was worried the D, and especially G would be too "twangy" for my taste, but that took care of itself with time. The E string I had had for quite a while, and already had that big, warm, round tone that guts give. If I were to switch back to guts I would keep the Dominant E and A on, without a doubt. The D and G, since settling in, are starting to get the same kind of robustness and roundness given by the E and A, so it's working out quite nicely. If you raise your action a little, any string will take on a more thumpy, gut like sound anyway.

They also sound great for the bow, which is important if you're not bow inclined to begin with. My new teacher told me that when using the bow, one should not have to put any real effort in to get a natural piano sound. Using the Animas, it was like I was using a saw, but with these, it's like running a butter knife through a tub of margarine.

Anyway, who else here has used these strings? Anything else out there that gives similar results? Bad experiences? Good experiences?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just set up my bass for a new bluegrass gig that i'm into and threw some Doms on there... i love 'em. and used them alot for pizz stuff.

3. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    years ago i had set on my bass and remember liking them. i just got back into playing upright after a 3 year layoff. I have d'addario hybrids on my kay bass right now. they're broken in and nice.
    how do you think the tension compares to those d'addarios or a spirocore?? Because I play more fender bass, I want to keep my upright easy to play without switching to guts. I've been thinking of trying the dominants myself....

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    try 'em with a spirocore stark E.... the Fitzgerald Formula...

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Not any more - I'm using a full Dominant set these days. The only time I miss that Stark E is when I detune to "D".

7. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I put a dominant solo E on the other day and WOW--It was huge! I am going to get the full set.

8. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    You mean a Dom solo tuned down, right? I've been thinking of getting one myself to match the plain guts on G,D,A.

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    For those with extended experience with these strings - how long do they last?

10. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    exactly. my bass really likes the solo gauge dominants-the floor shakes!

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    They're not too flabby? Is this on a Cleveland?

How do they bow?

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mine are at 5 months and going strong, probably 40-50 gigs and an hour or two of practice a day. HTH.

13. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I actually have the Orchestra set, not solo. I guess I forgot about the solo set when I ordered them. Even so, I love these strings... What are the big differences between the two, if any? Less tension on the solos? How is the sound different? Louder? Does it project more? I know it all varies from bass to bass too. Maybe I'll make my next set Solo. I'd like to check them out.

14. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    "They're not too flabby? Is this on a Cleveland?
    How do they bow?"

yeah, on a cleveland. they're not too flabby to me and the pitch is very clear. i haven't tried a whole set yet though... they sound nice with a bow. although i'm no expert-i just know what i like.

15. I tried Doms some 10 years ago, and remeber them to be too stiff for my taste. Recently I found them in my drawer and they felt unbendable. Do any of you feel the same way?
    However, a solo set on my 7/8 Lang sounds tempting.....

16. I just got a set of Dominants (medium Orchestra), and so far I am very, very happy with them. They have a fuller, bigger sound than the Corelli's I was using (Corelli's are a pretty thin string, so I guess this isn't surprising). The Dominants seem louder, and they bow nicely -- string-crossing has less scratchiness than with any other string I've tried so far, including the Corelli's, which are a good arco string.

For jazz pizz, the sound is big and loud, and just the right amount of sustain for me (not much, just a little). Of the strings I've tried so far, these may be the best (but then I've only had them a week, so I guess time will tell).

17. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I just put on the E & A. I have a good feeling about them. Right now, they're a bit bright, but I assume they will darken up. Arco is fantastic so far.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Someone once joked to me that they feel so stiff coming out of the package that they should be shipped in a thin 5' long tube rather than wound. The weird thing about this is that they don't feel that stiff to me once they're on the bass. I never have figured that one out.

Alexi - I'm still digging the E and A after quite a while. Enjoy!

19. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I keep hearing that they're really stiff. Not on my Bass. I know I have really strong hands but....who knows? And I have em set REAL high (awaiting Ray Parker joke......) :p

20. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've got Anima's right now (see other thread) that are just starting their process of stretching and mellowing. If the Anima's don't pan out, or I get the string experiment bug again, I'll be giving Dominant's a try next.