Praise & Worship bands...everyone seems to be in one!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Jan 9, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Is it just me or are there a lot of people who play in praise/worhsip bands nowadays?? Seems that every other person on TB is in a praise/worship band..not poking fun, just making an observation.
    Just wondering what this music is like and what it could be compared to?? Is Switchfoot considered Christian rock/praise & worship? :confused:
  2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've noticed that too. I'd like to add a few questions for our TB worship bassists.

Do you only play music during services?

Do the gigs pay?

Where do christian rock bands play? At clubs?
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I play at my church occasionally. No I don't get paid for it.

I also still record the occasional jingle. I do get paid for those, but not enough.
  4. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe you could pass around a basket or something for the band. I'd bet you guys would make a few bucks.
  5. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    Well, it depends. Some large churches pay their musicians. Mine is large, but does not pay us. However you must be a member/regular attender to play.

We have 3 full bands on rotation to cover adults, one full band to cover college age, one for high school and one for junior high. So, yes, lots of musicians have regular gigs at churches, temples, etc. I get to play regularly with excellent musicians and get to really cut loose, too! :cool:

Styles vary but it includes classic rock, folk, black gospel, flamenco, pop, jazz, country. We rotate in a brass section, too. The youth stuff is geared more toward styles popular with... well, the younger people. Here is a link where you can listen 24/7 to streaming music. It's what our youth likes - Air 1 Radio .

Yes, Switchfoot is considered "Christian rock." My kids listen to them all the time.

6. My previous Christian band played at some bars. Mostly now I play at services and that's it. The bar gigs would usually pay, or at least provide a free meal :) You don't get too many of those gigs due to the hi water/booze sale ratio. lol.

Its a great chance to play with some really great talent. There is so much improv going on that you really learn your instrument.

Jason McCoy has been at my church for several years and over that time he's participated in some of the special numbers we've performed. So I can honestly say "I played with Jason McCoy" :bassist: (His talent is absolutely mind boggling!)

- Andrew

7. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    The music depends on the church. Usually though, the songs played in a church (for the regular service) are toned down a bit. If it's a special music service, and the people are there solely for that, then the music gets to be a little harder.

Like I said though, it depends on the church - I have only experienced three different praise and worship bands. But, it has been my experience that they don't want to offend anyone with hard and loud Christian music. Not everybody at church wants to jam out!

Songs by Switchfoot would rarely be played in the corporate worship service (IMHO).
  8. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Exactly what religions have full bands playing music in their services?

I'm catholic, and we never have more than an organ and maybe a choir. I think the pope doesn't dig bass and drums. There was a Methodist church in my town that had a good band. I used to sit outside and listen when I was a kid. That was the only place I've heard a full band at a service.
  9. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    It all depends on the specific church and their thinking. My church just started a Saturday night service last year. It uses a full band with guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, sometimes piano. My church is Southern Baptist - which is outward thinking for them. The Sunday service remains the same with piano, organ, and choir.

The church that I left was a Nazarene church with a full band also - but the full band does all services. The music director is the drummer. He used to play professionally in his younger days.

I have also been to a Calvary church service where their music was performed by a full band as well.

My mom is old-school hymms all the way. She hated our music at church. I myself think that it's cool that the modern church is embracing modern style music. I mean, come on! Where is the last venue besides church and the baseball park that you have heard the organ played?

I run sound at my church, and I hope we never turn on the lights above the organ (at least not on Saturdays).
  10. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Ahh.... every weekend. The keys player in my funk band plays a funky hammond organ. Just not for Christ.
  11. Our church attempts to connect to "this generation". Every week we perform a special number, and yes - we even played Switchfoot. This past week we did "Right Now" (Van Halen). We've also done "Just Between you and Me" from DC Talk, and various other Secular and Christian tunes.

And we're a Presbyterian church... go figure.

- Andrew

12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Query: Would a black metal band be considered a praise band?

I am serious here. More fundamentally I guess is whether people consider a praise or worship band must be limited to praise or worship devoted to the Christian conception of god. It seems that a band writing songs to worship some other deity would still qualify as praise music.
  13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I used to be into praise & worship in the old days...before it sold out.
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    What do Victor Wooten, James Genius, John Pattatuchi, Abraham Laborial, Nathan East and Tommy Sims have in common? They all have played on Praise and Worship albums or toured with Praise and Worship bands. That's not bad company. I've played Beastie Boys, Marvin Gaye, Zeplen, and Lenny Kravitz at my church, so I guess there's a wide variety in church music!
  15. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    You should come up to Manchester NH. We have a full band at Catholic Mass and have 1000 people show up to worship. Been playing bass as Mass for 17 years. Been leading the group for about 9. I get paid to lead the group, but not necessarily to play bass.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  16. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not in the P&W team...well, I kinda am. I want to go on stage, but they've got me stuck as the sound guy (been back there for a year and am now sick of it)...

And for example, Switchfoot's Dare You to Move may be a good one to fit (I'm not sure where) in a service.

I've gone to many Christian Rock Concerts...they play mostly at churches and some venues that secular artists play at as well (but some bands are more known, so they kinda get in there)
  17. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    If they are giving God glory through song, sure. Praise bands come in all styles, shapes, and colors! But a metal-style band probably wouldn't lead a Sunday service, unless the church body wants it that way. The hardest praise stuff I've played (for a youth service) is Meant to Live by Switchfoot. Nevertheless, there are plenty of metal bands in the inspirational genre.

For me, the dynamics of playing right with the spritual mood of a congregation brings the greatest and most satisfying musical challenges for me. The worship leader will change pace and intensity on a dime, depending on how spritual dynamics are working in a congregation during a given moment. The band must also connect and flow with it (and also be "lead worshippers"). I love it when we add another verse only off a quick vocal cue or do an impromptu tag...As a bass player, the right movement and intensity at the right time is key.
  18. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    +1 on what Roundwound said.

It's a very dynamic set. Anything can happen. Stuff gets added, cut, changed and altered, often on the fly. I love it. Many times, we only get one time (sound check) to play a song together as a group before performing for the congregation (about 100 for first service and around 200 - 300 for second service).

I've been playing in various church bands for the last 5 years and have had the opportunity to back nationally known recording artists and very talented "unknowns". I've been where it it was very "structured", playing certain songs, in certain keys, conveying a certain message and also where we had no song list, but played for a couple hours.

Sometimes the songs a little slow and boring (musically). Sometimes they are quite challenging. Sometimes they flat out rock. Ocassionally we do "specials (mini concerts, out door events other churches etc).

My current church has:
    5 guitarists (accoustic and electric)
    1 mandolin
    2 bassists (counting me)
    4 drummers
    4 keyboards
    1 harmonica
    1 sax
    8 vocalists
    6 sound crew
    2 lighting crew
    2 multimedia crew

We work on a rotation and usually will have 2-3 guitars, drums, bass, 1-2 keyboards, sax or mandolin or harmonica and 3-5 vocalists on stage with 2 sound, 1 light, 1 multimedia. We do 2 services. Oh and then theres a separate teen band (they play some pretty aggresive stuff too!) and occasionally something for the little kiddies.

The worship leader and his wife are both accomplished (and quite talented) musicians and have a number of CD's to their credit and plenty of touring. He also does production work and has a studio. And... he plays in two other "secular" bands (alternative rock and southern rock).

Several of our other members play in other gigs, as did I for a while. I know the worship leader is salaried, but I think everyone else plays for free (I know I do) and loves it.

Spirtuality aside, I find it to very musically rewarding, educational and downright fun.

I wouldn't attend a church where I am not a part of the music ministry. I *have* to play, it's a gift and it's what I'm "called" to serve in. ;)
  19. have a listen to some of hillsong united stuff, namely what the world will never take, thats the last song my youth group band learnt. Not exactly a organ there...
  20. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think that's what he's asking, although your focus is wonderful. He's asking if they could be called a praise band if they were praising something or someone besides the God of the Bible. The general answer is yes, although the specific term as posited by the poster, "praise/worship", is connected with Christianity. All of humanity worships something or someone.

If you're wanting a good idea of what "praise/worship" is, check out Chris Tomlin, David Crowder Band, Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Hillsong United, etc.

Switchfoot is considered rock; they happen to be Christians.