Praise your cheap gear!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Let me start by saying I go back and forth between being a tremendous gear snob and loving cheap n' trashy stuff.

Right now, though, I'm really impressed with some less-expensive instruments. I just got an MTD Beast 5-string in trade (not a CHEAP bass new, but a great used value), and also own a Dean Jeff Berlin Standard. These are both mid-priced Czech imports, and I think they KILL, not just for their price range, but for ANY price range. In fact, I bought the Beast to be a "knock-around" replacement bass for jams and such, where I don't want to worry about damaging my Pulcinella Level 5. It turns out that, while the Level 5 is comfier ergonomically, the Beast sounds much better through my rig!

BTW, I just bought a _Jay Turser_(!) electric/acoustic resonator guitar that also rules, for under $300 new. The alternative would be a $1,750 National Reso-lectric, and the Turser sounds great and plays very well.

Anyone else want to praise the inexpensive stuff?
  2. I have a little Peavey Microbass amp, and I think its sounds excellent...
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not bass... but 12 string acoustic. I bought an Alvarez 12 string import for $175 back in 86 or so. This thing was sweeeeet!!! The best 12 string I've played to date. I HAD to sell it in 94 to a guy that paid me $500.

It wasn't for sale, I told him what I paid... he just wanted it that bad :)
  4. I love my Aria IGB 68 (although I'm thinking of replacing the pick up) this bass plays great, I paid about $ 550 for it (new), including case and other things. The bass has a really fast neck and very comfortable contoured body, looks nice, sounds nice and the price is nice. Cheap does definately not mean bad, to be honest I have got major gas for an OLP.....
  5. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I bought a used Boss GE-7B pedal for $50 Canadian ($30 US) and it gives all the tone shaping I dreamed of!
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I love my Essex Jazz Bass. <a href="">CLICK HERE</a> to take a peek. I upgraded it w/Fender Amer. Std. p/u's, EMG BTC active pre-amp & a BadAssII bridge. The bass cost me under $250.

Also, my Lakland SkyLine 55-01 is KILLER!!!!! I paid $750 w/case & I like this bass ALOT!!!!!! <a href="">CLICK HERE</a> to take a peek. The neck feels GREAT!!!!!! I've played a few USA Laklands with the J/MM configuration & IMO, this bass playes & sounds better then the USA's. The quality of the USA's is alot better.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    cheap gear is a major effect in my equipment. i have a cheap old bass (an EKO jazz style bass) that is really important, it's the bass i use when i go to practice with the band in Milan, i can leave the bass in the car without being worried. it's great for playing live too. and for me when a bass is cheap it's really much easier to love it. i have not to remember how much it costed...
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I also have a Peavey combo amp (1x10, 50 watter). 4 years and NO problems!
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm gigging with my G&L L-1000 (cost $250) through my Crate BX-100 (cost $325 new). Sounds just great. When I use my old Epiphone (not cheap, but not expensive), it sounds INCREDIBLE for what it is.
  10. I, too have the Microbass amp. 'Tis sweet. Although I broke the jack on it a couple of daze a go. :(

I have a Jim Deacon P-Bass copy. £109.

The tone is SUPER SWEET when you fiddle with it for a while, plays well with low or high action.

The finish was cheap tho. You can nearly put a scratch in it with your nails!.. Thank gosh for pick-guards!:)
  11. I bought a Galveston 12-string bass new off ebay for 312.00 and everyone in the band, including myself thinks it sounds incredible, which it does.
    Then again I'm using an Aguilar DB359 and 2 Bag End 2/10 cabs to amplify it with.

But it does sound great and plays great too.
    I'm going to drop the tuning down to B this week and see how it does.

12. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The first decent bass I could afford new was a Peavey Patriot I bought back in 1987. Yeah, it's humble, and the single-coil soapbar pickup is noisy, but it still plays well and sounds good, and it only cost me $200 + case!
  13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yamaha BB300...I think this was the bottom of the line in the early 90s. I passed up two G&L L-1000s for this P-clone. Big neck, solid. It's great! Can't wait to drop some Fralin PUs in it. Maybe change out the tuners. Everyone needs a cheap, sticker-covered punk rock bass! It's my Pooh-bass! Big stickers of Winnie the Pooh and Blue's Clues my 3 year old niece put on it. :D
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have the very same model. Think it's made 1984. Bought it as used as my first amp, or actually traded my first electric guitar set(Ibanez Blazer geetar and small Laney amp) for it. It's pricetag of $350 was bit much but on the other hand that amount would buy me something like 60w crate amp, new.

My another best buy is late 80's MIJ Fender Telecaster I bought few months ago for $300. Great axe and awesome value, as far as geetars go.
  15. . . . I'm glad to see this thread taking off. I feel that too many TB threads focus on super-fancy gear.

BUT in the new issue of Bass Player, Will Lee lists his gear. At the Concert for NYC, he backed up Paul McCartney, The Backstreet Boys, James Taylor, and about 15 other huge people -- and used a Hartke 3500 head!
  16. rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    Cheap Gear?? or good gear at a cheap price?? there is a difference. I picked up a Galveston 12 stringer a few months back. It is comparable to my Dean, with the exception of the electronics. But even so, for the price it was an amazing value!
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't care what anyone says, but I still love my Squier P Special. Yes, it's had a few neck problems, but I got that taken care of. It was the first bass that I bought with my money, and I played the crap out of it my senior year in high school when I did Grease and Jazz band. I still take it to about every other gig. I took it to my gig Saturday, and some dude knocked it over when he was reaching over to get chairs. Didn't even apologize. :mad:

Also, a few months ago, I bought a used Cort that's a P Bass knockoff. It just had some vibe that begged me to buy it.
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My DeArmond Starfire Bass is great, and I managed to snag it for $300 on closeout!
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have an Ibanez GSR 200, which has and is serving me faithfully in BEAD, with the exception of having a bit of an output problem.

I also have a 80's crate B80XL (??watts, 15") that actually sounds great for practice, even in open A. Cost me $150, and then it broke, (power surge). Cost me 114 to fix. Still better than 380 somthing for a Crate BX100 or something simmilar. Cool beans.
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've got all you guys beat.

I have owned a number of basses, guitars and amps that cost me less than $ fact I still use one electric guitar that cost me $10 and gig-sized amps I paid $20 (old Ampeg 50 watt tube guitar combo) and $50 (Crate bass combo with 1-15) for.

All this stuff looks like it just came off the last Fugazi tour, but who cares? When was the last time you bought an axe and amp for $30 total and could go play gigs with it? :cool: