Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Praise your Squier Bullet bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jun 9, 2003.

1. I want to hear why bullet bass owners like their bullet basses. What are their good points? Can it ever be anything more than a cheap beater?

Also, how much did you pay for it?

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    My first bass was a Squire Bullet Bass which I bought back in 1985 for $150. For a first bass it was a great choice. Cheap and decently playable.
    Also it was a great bass to experiment with, to learn how to setup and take apart.
    I still have the bass, although it has gone thru some changes. After about 2 years I put a Warmoth neck, a Carvin PU, a Shaller bridge on it and about ten years ago I completely stripped off the finish, bare wood.
    The only things that are original are tuners, body and the pick guard. A great bass to upgrade.
    Here's a pic, it's the one on the right.[​IMG]

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    back in 1980 when Fender first went to japan they came out with the 'BULLET BASS",after 3 or 4 years they changed the name to Squier.(i believe this to accurate)the first years of them being made in japan were some of the best ones to be had,they were often compaired to the "higher end" american models,which is why they pulled out of japan, plus the fact the "standard" model jazz and p-basses were comperable to the american basses selling for much more money got the Fender "big-wigs" a little worried did'nt help much either.i played my buddies 82 bullet bass and i could'nt believe the craftemanship and great sound,it was truely a well made bass. And for a while even the ones that came out of Korea were halfway decent basses for the money, though they were no japanese guitars they were still well built. i always stop to look if i see one being sold on e-bay and i have to say that i have come across some really nice basses that are attainable for a little amount of money, its refreshing to see a nice bass being sold for an amount that you would'nt need to take a loan out to afford.

4. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    i still have trouble with right and left... my god

5. Hmmm... the one on the left really looks like a 70s jazz to me...

Thanks for the praise. Keep it coming!

6. hmmm....nowadays, Squier = good firewood (maple and ash burn pretty well):D

7. I never had the Bullet, but I've been banging on a Squire Affinity P-bass for a couple of years now and love it. Feels good in my hands and I have no complaints about the sound.

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i can name a few basses of the top of my head that are more suited for firewood than a Squier, i know some of the newer ones are beat but if you look hard enuff you can still find a good one.i posted a thread last week about trading in my mexican jazz for a squier model,and i still stand behind my decision. i returned my mex because after being the second owner of this bass i could'nt take the fact that everytime i picked it up to play(which was like once a week)i had to fiddle w/ the neck and bassically do a set-up.my room's temp is not that bad because i have 2 other basses who hang out there and are just fine,only the mex would turn into a noodle all the time.so now back to this squier,it was made in 2001,it is blue w/ blue h-stock,solid colored body(no pick-gaurd from factory)and it blows my mex out the door!i put some flats on it and believe it or not it has the "fender growl"BOOOYAAAA! I believe for the money that they cost they are a good bass.come on a p-bass for 169.00$ how can you beat that? you just need to play about 20 or so to find a good one:D LOL ! but all joking aside i really enjoy that squier ,and i like it so much i decided not to go ahead and get a japanese jazz bass(62 re-issue)the squier is more than good enuff for that sound.it frees me up to get the 51 p-bass re-issue(blond see through). and i'll end this thread with this,i went to Sam Ash music the other day and i was playing the 62 AMERICAN re-issue bass and i was very disappointed,the frett-work was average,the stack knobs were stripped already(it came out the box like this)and it was a boat anchor to boot. it sounded good but for 1349.00$ it was'nt much better than the 550.00$ re-issue models and Sting basses. it just goes to show you that there are good examples in all models,some more than others,i would'nt trade my squier for the world(maybe for a japanese p-bass)but highly un-likely:)