Pray for me brothers for my will is to be tested!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Feb 10, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One of our guitarists announced 2 weeks ago that he's moving with his family down to Nashville in May. The "other" guitarist in the band and I have been recommending that the band perform more "modern" covers (IE:80's-90's) for our audience, since requests for newer music was becoming more frequent. (Currently we are in the 60's-70's Dylanish Classic Rock.)
    Unbeknownst to me, the singer tried to peel off the guitarist and drummer and get another Bassist to go and do "his" music. And went so far as to arrange a "try-out" for said bassist on a rehearsal "off-night". Once I found out I did 2 things.
    1: I backtracked to find out what the "other bandmates" musical desires were, and 2: asked them if they wanted to be in a "band" or be in his "backing band"?

My reasons were that the guitarist who's leaving in May, shouldn't be subjected to "crap" by a juvenile member of the band, and we have paying shows to play between now and the time he leaves. One has to keep some harmony in the band to be the most professional onstage because the public doesn't care or need to know about our bands "problems".

The other guitarist and myself have talked about this tom-foolery that's going on and have agreed on a musical direction to pursue, I talked to the drummer and gave him the option. But have since then secured a better drummer, so I really wish them well :spit:. So the singer and the drummer can go off and have their career. And I'll rock with the guitarist & new drummer and make lemonade out of the "lemony" situation.

If the "singer" really wants to form a band, he ought to learn to do it from the ground up. Heck, I just put one together in 3 days on the phone.

The real test for me now is to restrain myself from giving the singer a fresh 2002 MIA Precision sandwich in the next 7-10 weeks.
    I have not, and will not talk to the singer about this.

Pray for me brothers, for my will shall be tested. :bassist:
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Why do bands always implode like this? And why is it usually the singer that causes it?
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That's part of the reason that I became our singer, so that we wouldn't have that bovine residue to put up with.

That and that we couldn't find a singer that could do what i hear in my head when I write. It took me years to discover that the sound I hear in my head is the same voices as real-life vocalists Paul Carrack and Joan Osborne. Yup, if I could have gotten Paul and Joan to sing my songs I would be a rich man now. :crying: :bawl:
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. My oldies band imploded, due to the singer. Wanted the drummer(best I have ever played with) to switch to keyboards and me to switch to rhythm guitar. Our lead guitarist(who also plays in Lucid Dreamer) told him that the band would never get any better until we replace the female vocalists(one of which is the singer's wife:rolleyes: ) with girls that can sing better. After a month of communication breakdown, said guitarist gets kicked out of the band for not answering the singers emails quick enough. He was out of state on vacation. Drummer and I both said 'See ya!' to the singer the day after he fired the guitarist.

He also tried to drive a wedge between the guitarist and I, which was a mistake, since we have another band together, and he is one of my 3 closest friends.

Some people are just mentally deficient.
  5. P. Aaron

I would have had total respect for the singer and the drummer if they would have said that this was something they are considering. If they would have just been up-front about it.

But to try and stage a coup prior to the transition period, without a band meeting is were the ("richard-head") singer and to a (lesser extent) the drummer got themselves into this situation.

Heck, if I'd ended up "odd man out", so be it. These things happen. It's difficult starting a band from scratch, but it can be done.

I want the guitar player (who's leaving) to get some live licks & kicks before he goes and not have this BS happen during his remaining time with us.
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Good thing for us P is in Detroit drummers and guitarists are like belly bottons around here. We are the commodity, at least the good ones around here are. The only tricky thing I see is maybe the vocals but enough guys can play and sing around here. Whatever happens let me know I can put some feelers out for ya!
  7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    implosion must be in the air...and singers seem to be the cause...(those that don't play any instrument...just sing) next venture is gonna be a three-piece with a singing guitarist. more folks=more personality issues

*prayers for ya P!
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is why I haven't been in a band for a while. I love music but who's got the time or the patience for the hassles.

Though I must admit that I have been getting a great amount of pleasure from one of the bands I dep for. Yep the one where the singer plays guitar. They're actually a couple of brothers and both sing and play guitar, though one is more of a guitarist and the other is more of a singer. Tx is right, those that play an instrument think more like the rest of us. They just seem to "get it".
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I say a trip to knuckle city is in order.

just kidding...I think ;)

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dang man.....our singer quit our band I was feeling all sorry for myself that it happened to just me. Low and behold, several of my TB "brothers" are dealing with the same thing.

My answer? I formed a new band, from the ground up, and we don't have a singer. We are just going to play mellow music at corporate gigs, and coffee shops.

Just today, I lined up a twice a month gig at a coffee shop about three blocks from my house. I called the singer and did a "neener-neener" to him!! Hehehe

Now we have to come up with a cool name, and a better set list.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yup, singers seem to be the common problem from my experience. My last band, the singers Mom decided to leave her family for an internet stud. I'm sure this would suck, but the rest of us were begging him to suck it up long enough to go through one whole nights gig. He wouldn't do it, claiming he was in too much of a mess mentally. We had to cancel the last minute (same day), and they weren't happy. This particular venue had us lined of as an opening act for Quiet Riot. Since we cancelled on him, he cancelled us on that gig. I was so pissed, I quit, and that was the end of that band.
  12. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    amazing to me is how these things/issues can spring up out of the blue. One week you're going along just fine as a group then the next the singer decides he has "problems" with the rest of the group for various reasons and needs a break to sort out his life.

I personally play in a music group to have an enjoyable time with the guys and an outlet---not to spend it trying to figure out the others motivation or commitment level.
  13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I don't see it in the singers, but in one of the band mens wifes or girlfriends.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yes Yoko has been an inspiration to millions of girlfriends worldwide. But I have less trouble dealing with them than singers.
  15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    My drummer quit recently, right after recording our CD. Totally unexpected. There must be something in the air.
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you're a better person than this, don't sell yourself short. i'm sure your much more professional than the others.
  17. P. Aaron

Thank you guys. Hey, this is part of what we experience when you collect "artists" for "co-operative" artistic expression. It's all relative with regards to key and arrangement, but personalities is where the harmony collides with dissonance.

I'll have my revenge in that I know what I want to do and can find the talent to do it. But I am going to have to have a great Singer to pull off the "heavy rock" gig. They are going to be the attitude onstage every night we play.
    I have no trouble telling any potential singer that that is what I/the band expects and needs. I'll be rockin' again shortly.
  18. This is why I like you, P., you are way above this infantile crap. :)

As for the Precision sandwich, don't mar the finish of your bass by getting the fang imprints of a rat in it. ;)

Regarding the singer: We all get older, but many of us never grow up. This sounds like a stunt someone would pull in high school.

You are a good egg, my brother. :hyper:

19. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Why does almost every singer have to act like Axl Rose?
  20. P. Aaron

You haven't read my posts in the Lounge? :)

Yeah I know. But it's the right size and weight, and it fits so well in my hands that I...

He's a few years younger, and he's completing a disc with his own tunes on it(which he didn't tell me about), so I can empathize with his desire to be a band-leader. But the way he's trying to go about it, plus onstage, he is a ham.

And you guys have all been very helpful. In more ways than you know.