Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

praying before gigs????

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I wanna know how many people say a little prayer before they hit the stage?

I try my best to do it all the time. I usually ask the powers that be to allow me to detach from my ego and let whatever It's will is - to be for the show. The ol "thy will, not mine be done." I ask that I'm given whatever I need to play the best possible show I can play, and that I be accepting of all that comes my way.

It helps.

Bodeanly likes this.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My bluegrass band does it pretty regularly...we play about 1/3 gospel music anyhow, so it comes naturally for us. Ours is a Thanks for the gift of the talent and the opportunity to use it constructively. Also a request that we (and our music) be enjoyed and a positive experience for our audience and for us.

My rock bands wouldn't do this as a group, since the other guys wouldn't be comfortable with it...I wouldn't wanna force this on anyone. I usually try to get a little one in myself, though. As I said before, the opportunity to do something so cool is a gift...

3. The last gig I played was at my church's Christmas party--so I ended up saying the invocation for the event!

4. My band always throws up a quick prayer before we play. It's good stuff.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my band doesn't play without it...part of the plan.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think any group ritual, prayer or huddle or whatever, can help to establish unity among members. I remember reading something about Mahavishnu Orchestra having some groovy ritual dealy before every show.

7. ...and for many bands, it is thought sufficient to get drunk or smoke up together before playing a set.

:rolleyes:

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well I dunno about that kind of ritual, but I do think it is important that each member of the band be just as sober, drunk, or high as the other guys. That way you play equally well/poorly. If the guitarist is drunker than I am I'll hear his mistakes and get annoyed. If I'm as drunk as he is, neither of us will notice the other's mistakes and we'll have a grand old time. My new band drinks much less than the old one, I'm glad about that! Hangovers bite.

9. That probably explains why the rhythm guitarist from Guided By Voices--who wasn't trashed when he hit the stage when I saw them, unlike the rest of the band--wasn't playing particularly well. Of course, as the set wore on and he drained more and more from his bottle of Jack, he got a lot tighter with the rest of the band...

10. Bessie

Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    Vancouver,Canada
    ive only ever played one show (in front of people:rolleyes: ) but i did say a little prayer type thingy. im not religious so it wasn't directed towards God, but to the, you know, music god type thing. i guess you'd say the power within myself. maybe it wasn't so much as a prayer but as a pep talk. but either way, it's real cool to do that. next time i play a show in front of people, i will do it again.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    God, Ah'monna playalittle Doobie Brothers! Can you dig it?

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    In one of my bands we always gather for a prayer before practice and shows. In the other, the guitar player prays to himself, while the rest of us share what we are thankful for from the previous week, which I guess is kind of an indirect prayer.

13. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    "Jesus is just alright with me." Seriously, I don't think that I have before but I like the concept so maybe I'll start. Music IS a gift and I am always humbled and thankful to receive a gift from anyone.

14. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    god wouldnt approve of what we play anyway.

15. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    My band gets together with all the friends we're taking to the gig before we leave and we all do a circle prayer. If it's possible, we pray right before we take the stage, and I usually pray to myself when I get up there anyway.

16. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Are you sure? Jesus did'nt hang out with the best crowd. Don't get religion and God mixed up.

17. Me personally, it is out of the question, because I am agnostic in the first place.

But I would have no problem being in a band in which the rest of the band members believed in some sort of higher power. Otherwise, that's religious discrimination.

But based on both the music I like and the music that I would want to play in a band setting, it would be EXTREMELY difficult for us to have a heavily religious member, simply because he/she would have a hard time not getting offended to some of the messages we would present. Despite my penchant for metal, I would be most at home in a punk band that would mix ska and a little reggae flavor in (the reggae-flavored songs would obviously be a little less anger oriented). And, make no mistake about it, despite me loving ska, I am an angry, aggressive music person at heart, and unless all the members of the band tend to agree with the message of the lyrics and atmosphere, it can be very tough to succeed.

For everyone else; If it helps you to pray, that's great. I encourage you to continue. I believe that anyone that FORCES ANYONE to believe what they do is a hypocrite who should be dealt with in perhaps the most inhumane method possible. And if you belief in God and your religion, practice your faith nonviolently and nonoppresively (is that a word? I think I just pulled a Dubya :D ), and that faith helps you live a better life, then that is the greatest thing in the world. THOSE people, among others, are the good people of the world.

If it helps you, give it an AMEN. :D

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great post.:) If everybody could have that attitude, the world would be a much better place.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps, but this violates the principle of separation of church and band.

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, how's that for tolerance?

"When tolerance becomes absolute, it becomes intolerant."

I agree about the first part of the sentence, though, about forcing someone. I also agree on the "angry music" part, meaning I'm an angry music man, too. Being "a serious man" (a 'geisha' once told me I am...), has the effect that you loose friends because they think you are too angry. But what else can one be? Have a look around the world, and see what the human race have done to it - is doing to it and themselves!

I'm also a Christian, as a result of that lookaround.
    So I have no problem to play "angry music" with corrective lyrics to human listeners,
    nor to play Praise and Worship to God, who once created a perfect world.

And pray before play? ALWAYS!