1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-'57 P basses...let's see 'em!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Probably been done, but I'd really like to see anything ranging from actual pre-'57 Fenders (slab or contours) to RI's to knockoffs. Heck, any P-type with a single coil can come along.

It's a bit embarrassing, but here's my humble entry. Cheap Turser knockoff...though I gotta say, this is a pretty killer little stick:

JTB2.

I'm thinking about doing a refin on mine...what do you think?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Pre 57 P-basses!!!!!!........................................Here is my Turser.

I LOL'd.

3. I love the 54-57 body style.

Some day.

4. There was a thread done about a month ago with a bunch of people posting pics of their early P bass styled basses. (originals to tursers)

I dig 'em! Refin that bad boy... maybe trans white with a black pickguard???

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Muddslide--

Honestly, that is one quite lovely instrument. You need not be embarrassed (like me, you may find a long ignore list useful). In any case, I am more than happy to oblige with yet another round of pics of my '55, if you are not totally sick of seeing it. Just say so.

However, you asked about refinishing. You could go that route, and I would say "do it," as long as you are certain the bass is a keeper.

Yet, there are those who have argued, pretty persuasively I might add, that even refinishing and restoring a vintage bass that has been a victim of the "stripped/and or routed" bass wars of the early '70s is wiping away genuine mojo, if not cultural information.

I prefer to think in the terms of the double bass and violin world: All instruments deserve to be their best, either in modern terms or in period terms.

Nitro is a nice thing, and I recommend it as a finish, but we are probably talking in the $700 neighborhood. If your bass pleases you as is, why not keep it original and get into some discussions with a builder for what you want?

Fender CS, Sadowsky, RSGuitarworks, Nash, Bravewood and others can build some pretty amazing single coil P-basses. You don't need to have an old piece of wood to have a great sounding "vintage-style" bass, as I am sure you know.

6. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Here's a picture of my 1951 fender precision. a great sounding and playing bass.

Attached Files:

GregC likes this.
  7. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Pic of my friend Chris goofing around with my bass and Marshall practice amp.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Would LOVE to see it! Not sure I have before, so it may be new to me...

Well, I've refinned scores of guitars and basses. I can do a pretty solid nitro job on this one for under $100 of chems, sandpaper, paint and topcoat. It's just such a dang chore getting poly finishes off. If I do it, it won't be a pro-level job, but I can do seom decent work.

I agree, but all of those will be well out of my $$$ range for the foreseeable future. I really like the work Nash does especially.

Thanks for the words.

Pics of your '55?

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Totally original? That's gorgeous! I feel faint....

10. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Sorry I can't hang...I'm afraid I have neither a time machine nor tens of thousands of dollars. :crying:

Just so's you know, I've been playing 30 years and have owned some nice vintage basses in my day. Just can't afford it anymore. Family comes first.

Guess I can't be in the Cool Guy Club, huh? :bawl:

PS-- read the OP...I was hoping to see any pre-'57 styled P-basses. :rollno:

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Now c'mon...I KNOW there are some people on here with pre-'57 type P-basses.

Is it Caca De Kick that has the slab-bodied one in pink with the matching tugbar?

Heck, anyone have one of the new Squier CVs in LPB w/ the SC pup?

Surely there are some more people to contribute to this thread...

12. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID

I'm guessing it's because most of us just participated in:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6049831

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
  14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    :hyper: Yes it is

DSC02365.
    DSC02945.

Actually, I think the single coil P sound is my favorite P sound. Really dynamic compared to the split coil.

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I can attest that Caca's bass is even more stunning in person than it is in pictures.

FWIW, I preferred the sound of my Dark Star P (single coil) to a friend's vintage (refin) 1960 P. Blasphemy, I know, but there was something more dynamic about the Dark Star when I compared it side by side (same amp, strings, etc.) to the "real thing". Could be the single coil vs. split coil difference, I guess.

16. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    That pink p just blew me away! Congrats Caca.

17. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    you mean your only gonna post one of your 51s?

18. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If that's your practice amp, I can't even imagine your stage amp...:bag:

19. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Superfunk47,
    that is a 68 plexi super bass with 8 15" speakers. It used to belong to "the Stranglers"

GregC likes this.
  20. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fender Sting precision bass, Japan
    Nordstrand '51 tele-style PU (split)
    American Deluxe bridge
    Sound