pre-amp, 2 or 3 band EQ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chump stain, Apr 6, 2002.

1. I was reading in the latest issue of Bass Player about the Sadowsky DI pre-amp. in the article Roger said he actually prefers a 2 band over a 3 band. he also said something like "I've never heard a 3 band I like".

does anyone else feel this way?
    and I was wondering if the same holds true for onboard pre-amps?

I have a 2 band Bartolini NTMB in my DP custom because I couldn't afford the 3 band at the time. but now I'm starting to think it may be better than the 3. what do you guys think?
  2. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Here's my 2 cents regarding onboard preamps.

I built a Warmoth jazz some time ago with bassline soaps and Roger installed electronics including his signature 2-band pre. Impeccable workmanship and the bass has the most massive bottom end I've ever heard. In fact, I sometimes have to back off the lows a bit. The highs are sizzling. I get very useful tonal variation by bumping the PU selector to either side of center (favoring either bridge or neck PU).

Then I bought an MTD 535 and it has been my baby for several years. The addition of a mid boost/cut with selectable frequency changed everything. I usually run it with bass and treble cranked and achieve my tonal variation with the mid pot and PU selector. Pulling mids at 1000 Hz yields a smooth deep traditional tone for finger style and is a great slap tone (this is tonal advice given by Mike on his site). By flattening mids or boosting a little at 250 Hz I can punch and cut to my heart's content. I get good growl this way by slightly favoring the bridge pickup.

I think I have tended in the past to go for what sounds good outside of the mix. I now feel that prominent mid presence (and having good control over mids) is central to achieving a good sound IN THE MIX. I recently bought a second MTD with an ash body (the other is poplar) and it gets even better mid-definition. I WILL get a Sadowsky and I believe that Roger is a tone genius - but this is where I'm at for now.