Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-amp all tube pre-amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldiezman, Dec 28, 2001.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ok I am working on a new rig. I am going to get the power amp and the pre-amp separate. I already know pretty much which power amp im going to get, but I don't know which pre-amp to get.. any suggestions? something that will be reliable. if you guys could list the prices that would be great also. thanks alot

Jim

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I would try as many out as possible, high-end to low, to see what color or tone you're seeking. Personally I love & own a Kern and Eden Navigator pre. Both are very flexible units in sound & cost about $700 each new, well worth it.

ciao,
    Belial

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the best preamp for the $$$ is the SWR interstellar overdrive. got mine new for $550, and it's got a ton of sounds inside - all of them killer. from standard SWR hi-fi, to all tube amp warmth, to svt grit...everything you could ever want is in this box. my only complaints are that there's no input gain knob (which i shall remedy with a raven labs MDB-1) or parametric mids. they could have easily put the footswitch and drive pedal inputs in the back and then they'd have room....oh well. with my setup, i don't even need the EQ. everything flat sounds awesome.

jason

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    thanks for the suggestion guys.. now another question. the power amp i have been thinking about getting is not really a bass power amp. It is a carvin power amp... Could I use this amp? i mean I know I would.. I just want an amp for transparant power and get all my tone from my bass and the pre-amp.. but would the Carvn Power amp be allright? I don't know of anyone who uses a carvin power amp in their rig so i don't know... thanks

Jim

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This may be just the blush of a new toy, but...the SansAmp RBI preamp I just picked up does incredible tube-like tones! I don't have a power amp yet, so I jacked it into the effects return of my G-K 400RB. The tube modeling is very impressive! Quiet, too. And cheap at under $300!

I know you said you wanted a tube preamp, but you may want to check this one out.

6. Yes, you can use the Carvin power amps with a preamp as a bass rig. Yes, they are highly thought of by their users in this forum (I've only had mine for a few weeks, but it sounds great: clean, clear, powerful). Do a search in this forum for Carvin DCM, there's a lot of info.

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    what kind of sound are you looking for? I play through an SVP Pro and i think its the greatest... i'm getting a stingray 5 very soon (same bass as the origional poster) so if we have similiar tastes, the SVP is the way to go..

IMO it does warm and dirty and gritty and distorted, all better than SWR and Eden, but i doubt it could get as clean as SWR or Eden. I don't need it to... i like grit.

8. Another vote for the Ampeg! I'm a SVP-pro user too. Footswitchable Graphic EQ, which is superb. If you're looking for tube tone, then I doubt anything else has it more than the ampeg. With 5 preamp tubes, you can craft a ton of sound out of it. But It doesn't do the SWR sound. I guarentee (spelling..) that. I had both a Grand Prix and a SVP-pro.

Guess which won? The SWR had a very big sound. Parametric Hi and Low Mids. Aural enhancer. But, it just was unable to DI a tube sound. The ampeg is. Big importance for recording and playing live.

The biggest/best thing about the ampeg is the Drive control. One knob lets you fine tune the tone. Amazing, I've learned this after playing it for a while. Not cutting through enough? One knob to fiddle with, and nails it. Plus if you crank it, it does a great overdriven sound. Not to obnoxious, but just sounds great. I've found it to love being paired with a Stingray pickup system. Just some first hand knowledge. I bought mine for $305 used. In 100% perfect shape, box/manual/warranty all intact. Not a single scratch.

As far as power amp, the carvin will work great. The DCM series is probably the biggest favorite on this board. I think Warwick5S uses a DCM1000, but he may tell you to get a DCM1500 or 2000. The price is right, and carvin stuff is pretty rock solid. I'm using a old FET900 that I bought as a dead unit. I opened it up, and it was in shambles. I cleaned off the dust, rearranged some stuff inside, replaced the fuses, and it's unstopable. But I'm also thinking about a QSC PLX2402 sometime during the next year. I'm liking the 2 rack space, lightweight/high power idea.

Just some advice/ideas.

9. They are very good pre's, I agree 100%!

10. Besides your fingers, you tone comes mostly from your bass. The tone of the amplification should bring out the best of the tonality from yourself and your bass. The SWR is far right and the Ampeg is far left as far as natural tone is concerned. The SWR is too clean and Ampeg is too dirty to make my explaination more simplistic.

Eden, Kern and Ashdown preamps keep a more natural tone intact.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey thanks guys. great info.. now what to choose :).. I am going to get the Carvin DCM1500 or 2000.. I have looked at the SVP pro.. i like it. I have also tried SWR, I have a sansamp DI box which I like very very much... i'll just do some thinking about what pre-amp i need.. Has anyone tried a peavey pre amp? i have played through the firebass 700 amp head and it rocks... lots of tonal variety.. just wondering

peace,
    jim

12. I disagree with you, I think the tone is shaped far more by the amp than the bass. I also think someone's tone should reflect what they want and not just be a louder version of their unamplified instrument. To each his own I guess.

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you like your SABDDI, you'll LOVE the RBI! SVT, Bassman, whatever - it's like your DI, plus a mid control and more signal.

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    That's more the way I feel Sapo. I could care less WHERE the tone comes from, as long as it sounds what I want it to sound like. If the sound I like comes solely from the bass, then I'll buy a Bag End rig to keep from coloring the sound of my bass. But if the sound I like comes from the combination of the 2 (bass and amp), then why struggle to get one that just doesn't color your sound!

Let your ears decide, not everybody's mouth.