Pre-amp and combo question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mait, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Mait

Oct 18, 2001
    Estonia, Europe
    I need your opinions on pre-amp / combo combination. My gear consists of a passive Lakland DJ5 bass, Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver and a simple Carlsbro combo amp (which I EQ flat because I get the tone from Sansamp). Now I'm planning to sell this combo and get Ashdown ABM C210T-300 EVO II combo instead of it.
    My question is - does the Sansamp become useless, because of the built-in tube pre-amp of the Ashdown? Or is the pre-amp section of Ashdown useless, because I already have a sansamp? Maybe I should go for a combo with no built-in preamp?
    I have to mail order the Ashdown, so I have no possibility to try out how they work together.
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Using the sansamp in front of another pre just gives you more tonal options, and a quality DI out if a soundman doesn't trust your amp's built-in one. I'd say keep it. Nothing wrong with stacking a pre in front of a pre if you like the sound.
  3. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    If there is an effects loop, you can have the best of both worlds: a tube pre and the ability to further tailor your sound. Keep the Sansamp.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Or you can do what I did. I didn't like any combo amps because of the trade offs for size. I didn't want a big rig either, but I wanted power, great tone and versitility.

I bought a nice cab (Bergantino HT112) and a small, light power amp (Acoustic Image Focus SA III) and a Programmable SansAmp BDDI as my preamp and DI.

It's way better sounding than most combos, more power, and really more portable. It all fits in a briefcase - well not the cab - but the rest. Despite what some say, the BDDI is quite versitile and I can get really nice live and recorded tones.

Something to consider...
  5. Mait

Oct 18, 2001
    Estonia, Europe
    Thanks! I'll keep the Sansamp and probably will be using it through the effects loop as jgsbass said.