Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-Amp Duel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI

or

Behringer Bass V-Amp/V-Amp Pro

Everyone loves the Sansamp, but the Behringer seems to have rather impressive modelling capabilities, and I could also get rid of some of my pedals if the onboard effects are good wnough..What do you think?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've heard the V-Amp is good in the studio but sucks live.

3. How does it suck? Unreliable?

Or can it just not take it when you: PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I tried my BVAP as preamp. I was disappointed by the results. I ran it thru a Legion Sound PX-600 amp, A Legion Sound 2x10 and a X-audio 2x10. The sound was noisy and thin, no body. I don't think it really a preamp as much as its an effects processor. As a processor, its a kick; as a preamp its a kick in the neck.

5. I guess I'll just get the Sansamp then.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Uhh, looking at all that cheap gear you play through, I don't think the problem was entirely the V-amps fault.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    You're comparing apples and oranges there. if you need some programability, but sansamp tone try the tech21 psa-1. I have an RBI (rack version of the DI) check out the samples at www.tech21nyc.com

good luck

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    OK, tried this: BVAP>Trace Elliot AH300(line input)>Hartke 4.5 & Basson B15b. Same thin sound with excessive noise.
    Tried cheap rig with a mixer replacing BVAP; works fine with no noise, full response.
    Sorry, but this thing is NOT a pre-amp, its a effect processor.

How are you using yours? As preamp or processor?

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just picked up the RBI last Thursday to go with my Crown CE1000 and had to use it on gigs Friday and Saturday... Sounded great and I really didn't have the manual for those sample settings until last night (d'loaded them), when I got a chance to mess around with it.

I found mine for $150 used, but in great condition.

I think that it is pretty versatile and some interesting tones you can get... I'll probably have more to report after I have messed with it for a while.

10. So, what is it then? Is the VAMP Pro really **** or is some guy's gear ****?

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Did anyone ever answer your question?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to check out the BBE BMAX preamp.
    [Check the sound clips on BassTasters.]

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That's what I'm planning to buy....