Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amp? Educate me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin Cheek, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Still looking ar the rig my Son might buy and was wondering
    What is a pre-amp?
    How does a pre-amp effect the setup?
    Can a pre-amp be ran thru a B2R?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Preamps are what boost the signal enough so the power amp can boost it further. They also shape the tone. The B2R has a preamp built in, so you won't need another one, although you can use a different preamp if you want to.

3. The easiest analogue is to hifi components. The preamp has your controls (tone, volume), filters (deep, bright) and inputs. The power amp actually drives your speakers, and generally would only have level controls. Combined they provide the same features as an amp head such as the B2R, but with a little more flexibility in terms of personal choice.

Also, with "active" basses there is a preamp built into the instrument itself. This provides a higher level output and some different tone choices. Some of the better active electronics are also available in an outboard footpedal format. The choice of an active or passive bass would also be a matter of personal preference.

The preamp in an active bass should work fine with the B2R. An actual bass preamp could probably be connected to the B2R but might not be worth the effort.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    To expand upon Oddio's comments, heads like your B2R include both a preamp and a power amp. As was previously stated, preamps take the input signal from your input and process it with an input gain knob and tone controls (bass, mid treble, bright switches, frequency adjustments, etc.). Power amps take that relatively low signal after it's been processed and amplify it to an audible (i.e. very high) level, and then send it to your speakers for the world to enjoy. Your B2R does both of these functions; therefore, you presumably do not need a preamp.