Pre-amp for Aero'd MPG Level 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by moog, Sep 11, 2003.

1. moog

Jun 24, 2002
    38º 4´N 9º 8´W
    Hi there. I was wondering if any of you could help me out on this issue.

I have a Pulcinella Level 5 with Aero pickups, all passive. I like the tone, but think I'm too used to my Warwick Fortress's EMG PJ set.

Do you think adding a pre-amp would give it the extra ':bassist:' I'm looking for?
    If so, I would consider either an Aguilar (924?) or a Fodera 2000 (pedal version). Unfortunately, these are not available in my country, so I don't have a chance to try them both and compare.

What do you think? How would you define each (as objectively as you can)?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i think Larry says, NOT to use a preamp with his pickups, but hey, whatever, right? ;)

but something with a variable midrange like the J-Retro pedal or a Sansamp Bass DI, would be great to shape your bass tone into anything you'd like.

the Aguilar is just treble and bass, which i think wouldnt do you much good. and the Fodera tho cool is the same, i believe.
  3. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hmm, I like my MPG Level 5 with Aero pickups precisely because it has a bit more punch than my Lakland 55-01. So maybe I'm not the right person to reply, but we MPG w/Aero guys gotta stick together, right?

I had a Fodera 2000 pedal for a while, it has a midrange control, nice but a bit hissy, I sold it. I really like the Sadowsky preamp, so much so that I took the guts out of one (old style) and put them in the Lakland, giving me a great active bass. I don't miss the midrange control at all. So that would be my recommendation.

At the moment I'm fiddling with one of the new Aphex "acoustic" pedals. Also disappointingly high levels of hiss, and not really much help at low volumes, but fills the sound in at higher volumes. My experience with this is consistent with what Steve York posted on TBL. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it or send it back. I'm not really finding that the "exciter" adds much to the already-punchy Aero sound, and I am having trouble distinguishing between what the "big bottom" does vs. just adding a bit of volume and bass boost with the amp. I need to play with it some more before coming to a conclusion.

I just got a new GK1001RB-II, and I can get just about any sound I want using the tone controls on the GK, without any preamp, straight from the Aeros, so that's my real answer. The new GK is much less hissy than the previous ones (can you tell I don't like hiss?) and with a good preamp in it I guess I feel like I don't need one in the bass, too.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Fodera has a mid cut/boost which can be switched on /off with a footswitch - handy if you're dropping from fingerstyle to slap.
  5. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    My Elrick NJS 5 has Aero single coils with a Demeter preamp - the Demter is a great match to the raw-ness of the Aero's.

Aguilar preamps sound amazing with Aeros as well as the Fodera or Sadowsky.
  6. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll second the U-Retro with Aeros. I have a U-Retro with dual-coil Aeros in my Benavente 219B and it KILLS! The combination yields both super clarity and control (especially over the mids).
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This may get more attention over in Pickups...