Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amp for my passive Lane Poor Acacia 6?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm sorta happy with the tone from the Acacia 6 I use, but the passive system is a bit off the mark for me.

First of all I have to adjust the gain settings on my preamp to get a good volume.

Also, the tone gets a bit distorted and I can't figure out how to manipulate everything to cancel that out. I don't have that problem with my Smith's Hazlab.

Also, the controls are just volumes for each p'up and a tone. No blend, so they have phase issues when I try to use both at full throttle.

I was hoping to find a pre (out or in-board), that could give me the signal boost I need, allow for better blending, have a three band or at least a two band boost/cut, a bypass incase the batteries die, and minimal cutting (if inboard).

I tried the Sadowsky outboard box and there just wasn't enough tone variability.

Anyone tried to convert a passive Lane Poors system like this into an active circuit?

Any recommendations?

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    maybe the retro outboard? xush's sounded pretty darn kick butt.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    What about the Radial Bassbone reviewed in BP a few months ago? I've never tried one, but they seem to get top marks, and definitely look versitile enough.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm floored by the newest Benavente Pre (got one in my fretted now too)! I know Chris puts them in a nice outboard box... or you could go onboard if you've got the room.

The one I installed in my fretted has a push/pull volume for a bypass.

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I am currently putting a U-Retro in my Acacia with Lane Poors. I'll let you know how it sounds. Hey, if you become unhappy with that Acacia let me know. I'll take it off your hands. ;)

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'll be interested to hear.
    I spoke to Aguilar yesterday about an OBP-3. I could swing a 3 band with no cutting with some stacked / push-pull pots.

I'm still thinking the outboard thing is what I should go for, but I wish I could get the phase issue nailed.

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR