Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre amp for QSC PLX 2402

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Azzie Li, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003
    I'm going to be getting the QSC PLX 2402. I already have an IAmp 600 and a Sansamp RBI. Would the RBI be enough on its own to drive the QSC? I will be feeding 2 4ohms cab. Of course this would be ideal for lugging purposes. If I really am aiming for an Ampeg sound...with limited money, is there another solution to getting closer to the sound I want with another pre amp that I can use alone instead of the iAmp w/RBI thru effects loop?

2. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I've never heard one, so I can't say good or bad things about it, but Bass Player had good things to say about the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp in their shootout in the Jan/Feb 1995 issue. Its the preamp section of the SVT-Pro head, with ultra lo, ultra bright switches, 3 band EQ with 5 position mid selector, drive control and 9 band (40-10k) graphic EQ. 4 12AX7's and 1 12AU...5 tubes...hmmm. I'm interested in hearing this one for myself. The only other tube pre's that rated higher were the Demeter VTBP-201 and the Alembic F-1X...mainly, from what I gather from the write up, because they do a clean tube sound so well. They said the Peg was "the rock sound." The Peg's features seem to be far more versitile. I've heard good things about the Kern, READ Purity and new BBE pre's. BP also reviewed the new Fender pre in their latest issue. The Aguilar is favored by some, others find it limited in tone variation and maybe a bit fuzzy. The Fender, Alembic and Kern are all based on the old but time proven Fender Bassman circuit (hope I have that correct).

If you're looking for the Peg sound, try the Peg preamp. I've heard some say it is not as elegant or classy sounding as the old standards (Alembic and Demeter), but then again, the Alembic and Demeter didn't so much for me when I've fiddled with them in stores (owned the Demeter HPB1 for a short while...thin sounding to me).

The Peg was listed at $500 (that's a bargin even at list) back when the article was written.

Wow, choices choices...see if you can find the Peg on the Bay, or maybe find the SVT-Pro head in a store to at least get an idea of what the pre sounds like. Keep in mind the QSC is not as beefy sounding as some power amps, so you might look for a pre that is thicker sounding to give the QSC some meat. I'd really like to hear the Peg matched with a Stuart to see how that combo works.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    SVP-Pro's are notoriously noisy for most people. Check the reviews. If you really want an Ampeg tone, go for the newer SVP-CL preamp.

www.basstasters.com is a tremendous resource if your are shopping for a pre.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Don't know about "most people", but I and quite a few others have never thought the noise floor on the SVP-Pro was a problem at all! If you sit in a quiet room and A/B an alembic and the SVP-Pro, the Ampeg will be noisier ... but on a rock gig it just doesn't matter, and the TONE will be there.

SVP-CL looks nice too, but its missing the switchable graphic EQ, which is REALLY handy if you play two different basses.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Everyone's experience is different, but "I and several others" found the SVP-Pro's noise to be totally unacceptible, especially for recording. To each his own, I'm not pushing the product, just giving this person a heads-up to listen for it prior to purchase and make his own determination.

Some have had success in swapping out the tubes to decrease the noise, others have tried and failed, and some have had noisy units that were replaced with a quiet one of the exact same model. Just keep an eye out for this when trying out pre's.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm one of the bassists who found the SVP Pro to be too noisy. However, I definitely agree with pickles that it's a moot point on a rock gig--you're never gonna hear that hiss!

That preamp has mega output, too, which is a very good thing, in my book.

I used an EA iamp600 with a Sansamp Bass Driver DI in front of it on Saturday night, btw, and it kicked major butt. Just a thought. And I also think you could easily use just the DI into your power amp with no problems. Whoops, just noticed you're talking about the RBI. No problems whatsoever, man. If you like the Sansamp sound, there's your answer!

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    In answer to your other question, yes the RBI has sufficient output to drive the QSC. It's the BBDI (stompbox model) that doesn't have sufficient output to drive it.

- Frank.

8. I don't know where you're planning on getting your 2402, but if you're buying new I highly suggest that you buy from Lord Valve at NBS Electronics in Denver. Not only are his prices about as low as they get, but he also offers a mod that doubles the input sensitivity for an extra $50. He's an authorized QSC repair center, so it won't affect your warranty. I didn't get the mod when I bought mine from him, so I have to crank my Kern to at least 2:00 to get enough stage volume from it.

-- Dan --

9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I recently got the ampeg svp-cl, after having both an alembic and an ebs classic. The cl falls right in the middle. It's pretty quiet, not as punchy as the ebs, but it's got such bouncy booty. The ebs wasn't creamy enough for me, and I couldn't get the alembic to run without clipping (no master volume) with my any of my active basses. It was the amazing for recording. Ifyou get the cl, you'll need the factory authorized mod to get the output to line level, other you'll have you master at 3 o'clock and be baffled. Also, I picked up an art tube mic pre for $50 to use while I wait for my cl's mod. It actually sounds really good. I hear some are noisy, but mine isn't, and can drive a power amp. It's punchy, clean, has some booty, and is super easy to travel with(less than a pound)... ;)

10. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for the Lord Valve tip...I'm looking into it!

11. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003

So, when you say you put the DI in front of the iAmp, are you saying that you plugged into the preamp section of the iAmp? I've always been told not to plug a pre into a pre. But, I'm curious to try it if it can produce yet another facet...if it's safe to do with the RBI.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I plugged into the the Sansamp DI and then took the output into the "Active" input on the iamp. In other words, I jacked up the signal from my passive bass and the amp "saw" it as active in terms of level. With the RBI, you can just go direct into the power amp.

13. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003

Thanks Eric...yeah, I was hoping that the SVP-CL was going to be listed on there to listen to a clip...too bad. I'll check it out somewhere else.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Correction: Keep in mind that like any good power amp, it's only as beefy sounding as the signal going into it is.

15. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003

Gosh...whadda you live here or something? fast reply. Yeah, I still intend on using just the iAmp/RBI for smaller gigs. I was just asking because I thought maybe I'd get another sound plugging into the preamp section as opposed to the effects loop. So while I have you here, I don't know anyone else around here that uses the iAmp 600, do you get a lot of noise when you plug into the passive input? I noticed with mine I do...so I just use the active in. I could be missing out since the passive input is tailored for my J Bass.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nope, my 600 is quiet as a mouse. Maybe you have a service issue with your passive input? If so, EA service is top-notch; shoot them an email or call and they can/will help you.

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA