1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-amp I think

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Typicality, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Typicality

Typicality

Dec 4, 2007
    So I pull my Fullerton (the off brand not a real one) out of its case and went to make sure it was in tune as we downtuned it for practice. Long story short I hooked it to the tuner and nothing registered. Thought that my tuner batteries were dead so I replaced them and still nothing.

Grabbed my amp cable and plugged her in to the amp, hit the E string, not a darn thing. Fiddled with the knobs a bit and still nothing. Replaced the 9 volt battery with a fresh from the store 9 volt and still nothing.

So now I'm left with no clue on what to do. I bought this bass from Ebay and she has done wonderfully till now. So I guess I'm left with pulling off the back cover and checking out solder points and what not. Since I've never done this before I'm glad I get the chance to open her up and take a peek inside but I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Just to give some quick information I have a pre-amp volume control, 2 pickups and a tone control.

So is there some quick things to check inside the electrics to see where a problem may have occured? Anything I should be mindful of?

I do understand basic wiring and I can re-solder things no problem so I'm not to worried but I want to have an idea on what I could be in for.

2. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    There's a pickups and electronics forum here, so I assume this thread will be moved, but...
    ...since you seem to know electronics a bit, I'd check to see if power is getting to the board/chip. If you have a socketed chip (like I do), make sure the chip is firmly in the socket.

3. Typicality

Typicality

Dec 4, 2007
    oops I'm sorry for the wrong forum. I saw repair and went right for it.

Mental note made for electronics hit the other forum. Of course I scoured this one for a good hour and half so I picked up some other useful information, so even better for me.

4. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Did you maybe try a different cable?

5. +1
    That's where I'd go first, before messing around with preamp circuits.

6. Typicality

Typicality

Dec 4, 2007
    I was but my other bass works fine on the cable. I'm going to swing by the music store today and get an extra cable though. Good idea to have a backup though in any case.

It's those little things you don't think of that bite you in the rear I'm sure.

Unfortunately I got tied up last night and didn't get a chance to pop into the back and take a look.

7. Typicality

Typicality

Dec 4, 2007
    Opened her up and sure enough the wire on the input jack is off. Looks like a shoddy solder job.

Was going to fix it but apparently someone in a cleaning fit (the wife) threw out tools I was no longer using. So I will take her in today and use the shops soldering iron.

8. Typicality

Typicality

Dec 4, 2007
    Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded.

A quick and clean solder job and she is back up and running. Appreciate the replies and the info given by all in this thread and others.