Pre amp in effects loop of head?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Hello, i am interested in the Sansamp RBI but i would like to keep using my Carvin R1000 head. Is it possible (i know you could hook it up to work of course) but would it work to run the Sansamp in my effects loop of my current setup? Just wondering if anyone else does this and if it would sound decent and the what not. Also what else would you guys suggest for rack mountable bass effects? Any info would be awesome.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Me too. I have read nothing but great things about the SansAmp unit, but my Ampeg B3 head only has an effects loop. Anybody have experience with this?
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

As a general rule, it isn't a good idea to pile preamps.
    You'd be better pluggging them parallel.
    For example, plug the SansAmp between the tuner out and the power amp in.
  4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Also most effects loops are at line level, not instrument level which is what most pedels want to see. If you put it in the effects loop you will probobly be giving the Sans Amp a hotter signal that it was intended. It may be fine, but it may sound funny and worst case it will damaging, though unlikely I think.

You could try plugging your bass into the RBI and then take the output and plug that into your effects return. This would effectively bypass the Carvin pre-amp and send your signal straight to the power section of the amp. Usually the effects send is the last thing inline before your signal hits the power amp, maybe an eq between the two but thats probobly it.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The SansAmp RBI comes in rack style, not pedal.
  6. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Indeed, I was thinking of the BDDI. However, it still does not change the fact that it has an instrument input, not a line in. My recomendation still stands :D