Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre amp : Kern IP 777 or Aguilar DB 659 or Demeter VTBP 201 s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Nov 23, 2001.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    for Oldies/ Jazz which one is better?

2. I owned a Demter. loved it for really clean and articulate playing. If that describes oldies then it would work. Its a great preamp, and is farily versitile.

3. I really like my Kern. I did not try the other two.

4. I've played though both and ended up going with the Demeter. I liked its warmth. It's also got a mild, natural compression that I didn't notice as much on the Kern. The Kern seemed to have a more aggressive EQ section than the Demeter, but I thought the Kern was overpriced.
    There both great pre's though. I think once you get to the level of quality exemplified by those 2 companies, it's purely a matter of preference. Hope that helps.

Jeff in Chicago

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

exactly what he said. once you get to this mark of preamps, all you're choosing is style and taste. All these preamps at this level are of great constuction and quality. All just a matter of taste.

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Thanks for advises, since I have no chance to try overhere, which one is better for Jazz, Blues, '60 n 70' s rock and oldies?

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I like my Kern better than the Aguilar, felt its sound was richer and more natural. The EQ section is simple but lets you get the sound that you want, and the Kern has a standby switch. Haven't played the Demeter.

8. I take for granted the standby switch on the Kern. I can't believe more preamps don't have it. This is especially helpful if not essential for me.

9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I own a Kern. I have played a Demeter about 2 years ago in a store. I believe they have changed since then. I played the Aguilar in a store about 1 year ago.

Kern: I have commented on this recently. Look for the thread on Kern. Love the "Tonal Balance" control. I have one with the wall-wart. PITA if you don't have a space to mount it in your rack. Newer versions apparently don't have this. (Or so I have heard.)

Demeter: not enough bottom for me, ineffective eq.

Aguilar: Ampegish sound, with hi-fi quality

10. Haven't tried Aguilar yet but own a Demeter and tried a Kern in a guitar shop. Both excellent! I agree that the Kern seemed to have a more "aggressive" EQ and, to me, an overall warmer, bassier tone. But I've been able to compensate by boosting the bass and cutting the treble control a bit on my guitar and let the Demeter provide the tube sound. It sounded wonderful last night this way and I feel cuts through live mixes well due to a bit more brighter of an overall tone. Hoping to take out a Kern sometime next year to hear it as well.

11. From what I have gathered, the Demeter is very good if you have a great bass. The Kern's more effective eq section will be able to help a less optimal sounding bass. Of course a mediocre bass will always be and sound that.

12. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I haven't tried the other two, but I have a couple Demeters (the 1 1/2 space and 1-space versions). I play a wide range of active and passive basses through them, and am always impressed by the sound.

While it's true that they don't have an "aggressive" eq, it's more than enough for me. I have an Ampeg SVP-BSP with a much more aggressive EQ section, but my basses just sound sluggish and "thick" through it. I had an Alembic F1x, and although I think it's a fine pre I thought it was even more limited in the "eq" department than the Demeter.

Happy hunting!