1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pre amp or not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robert43, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Stay passive

62.6%
  2. Put the preamp in

19.6%
  3. carrots

23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Hi I have a SX P bass with SD 1/4 pounders.
    I can get a Fender P bass preamp 3 band at right price.
    Do you think I should leave the bass with or with out the preamp

2. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    go passive.

3. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Depends

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My amp already has a preamp and I set and forget that, so I'd stay passive.

If you need to change eq and can't or don't want to bother changing at the amp then consider the preamp.

5. Passive!
    Passive gives you a cleaner, more dynamically responsive tone with no added noise, and no need to **** around with batteries.

Why disgrace a perfectly good P bass with a preamp? It's disgusting:crying:

6. how dare you...:scowl:

7. passive !!!!!!!!

use that money on something else...maybe some good strings, TI, or something!!

8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    This is kinda weird. Most of the time I'd say go with the pre- IF if was a J-style. With a P, my tendency would be to go passive. I really can't say exactly why I think the P is naturally better with no pre than without. At the moment my Jazz is passive, tho.

9. Do you need the extra flexibility for your tones? If you are pounding the same sound all the time and really don't need anything else...and your current tone is what you like...stay with what you have (passive).
    If you need more flexibility (tone choices) ... or you don't like the current tone ... then add a pre.

I like the Bartolini and Aguilar on board preamps (obp). I have had both and love them both for different reasons.

10. I love active preamps in my basses but then again I have to crank the mids and thump through keyboards, guitars, loud drummers, and big crowds in small spaces. It really depends on what you like tone wise. If I were you I'd get a push/pull pot to go active or passive. That way you have the best of both worlds.

11. Surely, you've only played cheap pre-amps, because I have no problem with dynamic response or clarity.

12. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Quarter pounds PU has plenty of output, I don't think you'll need a preamp with it.
    Stays passive is my vote.

best

13. Well, it's probably more in theory than practice, but every gain stage adds noise and reduces headroom.

When i go into a studio, i want my bass tone coming from a $10000 tube preamp/EQ unit, not a $30 chip. :rollno:

Either way, why add another preamp to your system, when the rest of your rig should do what you need already.
    I think an external preamp is a better idea.

14. +1

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Will the preamp fit without routing out the body?

Anyway, with a Precision, especially with QPs, I think I'd just stay passive.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Preamp, it will give you more tonal flexability.

17. I'm not a betting man, but I'd fathom you haven't tried the new Bartolini, Audere, Mike Pope, Demeter, Aguilar, and/or Glockenlang.

If you're looking for flexibility, the Quarter Pounder doesn't do much other than hit hard. Remove the treble and replace some low end and mids and you'll get a little additional control.

18. I don't mean to sound argumentative, but nope, i don't need any of that crap on my basses. If there is anything my clean-and-direct passive Jazz Basses can't do for me, i will use an outboard preamp to give it to me.

But to each his own i guess.

19. I have never tried the quarter pounders, but in theory, i am tempted to agree.
    I had Curtis Novak make me a custom pickup a while back, and he has a very good philosophy on overwound pickups.
    Quoting from his website:

"I believe a pickup should NOT be thought of in terms of output, but rather of input. The function of a pickup is to sense the string and send as wide of a tone band as possible to your rig.

The problem with an over-wound pickup is that the high and low tones fall off while the middle tones become over-emphasized—resulting in a narrower tone band and a "one trick pony" guitar. This drastically limits your tone possibilities.

If it is overdrive and heavy mids that you want, you can easily get that from a pedal, when you NEED that tone leaving you free to explore other tones with your guitar. "

20. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    IMO... active basses are overly complicated... I use outboard pre amps... if I want to push/tweak my sound a little...

It took many years of playing ONLY active basses for me to arrive at this conclusion...