Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amp out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODELL, Dec 3, 2003.

1. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Can I use this 1/4" output to send a signal to the PA? This is part of an effects loop. There is a power amp in and a pre amp out. Also, if I only use the pre-amp out, will it have the equalizer section of the amp included in the feed to a PA. Useful information:
    Small fender frontman 25B.
    This is for an acoustic duo gig and I want my signal to go into our PA. (I don't want to carry my big amp with a DI.)

Thanks

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    You may just want to pickup a direct box. It would serve you better in the long run.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, you can take the preamp out to the board. The eq settings on your amp will affect the board.

As for DIs, there are some great DIs out there for very little money. In fact, there are some microphone DIs that work really well.

4. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Believe it or not, I don't want to carry anything extra to these intimate gigs. It's only 2 of us doing 2 hours with of music. We each carry a full range PA speaker and a mic and stand. I add my bass and my practice amp and he carries his acoustic. Thats it. Thank you for the info, I'll try it out on Saturday night.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are hauling a PA to a small gig, you might want to consider leaving your amp at home. How big is the place you are playing in?

6. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well we play at coffee houses and small pubs. But, the speakers are in front of us and we only use a small 10" monitor between us for the vocals. I can't put my bass through it. So, I use the small amp behind me as a monitor. I've tried plugging straight into the PA head from my bass, but I can hardly hear it when we're playing. I think if I just run a cable from the pre-amp out on the frontman 25, then I'll be able to here my own bass sound from the amp's speaker. Our whole situation is experimentle and we learn things at every gig.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use a direct box in such intimate settings with much success. No amp needed just a small box that fits into my bass case. Its my portable amp when I go play a place with a PA! I would get one because it would suit your purposes very well. No one will see the direct box...

The purpose of a DI is to be able to plug straight into many different types of inputs like a PA. I plug straight into out PA with my DI all the time. Upright and electric. It sure beats carrying an amp. There should be no problem running into the monitors and mains.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Some loops are pre-eq stage, others are post. Even others are selectable. In your case, you could look at the manual or schematic to see which you have. Or you could just plug in and test it.