Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amp/pickup replacement suggestions Fender MIA Jazz 5 Dlx

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    my Fender is a 2000, with 9 volt pre amp. I notice when I pop a string fairly hard the transient gets suppressed with perhaps some barely noticable distortion. Compared to my MTD Grendel equipped with Barts and a Bart pre-amp (which tears your ears off when slapped) its pretty tame. Come to think of it, lower notes when thumbed seem to "hit softly" as well. I have a maple fretboard with Alder body.
    I can't help but suspect it's the electronics. The pickups are the factory stacked humbuckers. I do have a Bartolini 3 band preamp with 3 position mid switch (18volt) I could rip out of my Grendel (which I don't really play anymore anyway) but I'm not sure how it would match up with the Fender pickups. Any of you builders/repair guys/gear heads wanna toss in your .02 ? Feel free to tell me about your expirience with Aero, EMG, Dimarzio, as well. Hit me.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Not to ask a stupid question but have you tired a new battery. Your kinda sounds like its dying.

I wouldn't rip the electronics out of the Grendel if you don't play it anymore sell it and buy an even better preamp.

The easiest replacement for you bass would be the John East J Retro www.j-retro.com this just replaces your current control plate, you'll want the deluxe one with the bottom mounted jack and passive tone control.

These get great reviews but I've never used one my self.

Hope this helps

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I put an Aguilar OBP-1 in a deluxe Jazz 5 I had a few years ago (left the noiseless pickups in), and IMHO it made a world of difference in the sound.

The OBP-1 is an 18 volt pre, but I only used 1 9V (no room in the bass for 2), and it sounded good....