1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pre amp, power amp, cabinet advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul082, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Paul082

Paul082

Aug 16, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Looking for advice regarding an upcoming change I'm thinking of making in my stage rig. I've played a GK1100 head powering a bagend 4X10 and an Eden 15 for years. Recently changed the Eden 15 for a Bagend ELF 18" and the GK has been working really hot and hard. Looking at pairing an Art Tube Mic Preamp compressor Equalizer with a Crown Xs1200 Power Amplifier to power the bagend cabs. Playing Warwick Basses fingerstyle in a rock style genre. Does anyone have any experience with this soon to be "new rig?" Am I nuts to be going for this change? If I make the leap, I'll be keeping the GK for a backup, just in case... just looking for something bulletproof. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I don't have any experience with that pre, but the Xs1200 is a surefire winner. There are a lot of different ways you could go with this, but just make sure you increase your power. As was stated earlier today in a thread about power, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Go with something a little bigger than you think you'll ever need.