Pre Amp, Power Amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broncrider32, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm wanting get me a new setup. I'm thinking a pre power rack setup instead of a head would be the best and easiest to haul around. I play alternative and some metal music. What would be the best pre amp power amp setup for the money. About how much am I looking to spend as well. Thanks a bunch
  2. Yep, you have to decide with your ears.

I've got the Demeter VTBP201S and QSC-PLX2402. I use Bergantino cabs and have Lakland basses. I also have a Walter Woods Ultra. I play in a Blues/Rock/WhatEver band with horns and PA support. I love the clear/punchie/articulate/warm/powerful sounds and tone I get from this equipment. You may want something other than my description for you style and taste, but this is great gear. I've grown to like the sound of my bass and even the sound of my playing from using "un-colored" gear. I can even hear my mistakes better....
  3. Don't completely rule out a bass head. Many very good heads are rack-mountable. If you have a 2 space bass head in a 4 space rack, you then are able to put in 2 single space toys, all in the same box! (Most power amps are 2 space. That and a single space pre will almost fill the box.) I find anything more than a 4 space box defeats the portability idea.

Just an idea.

4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I bought a used Yamaha PB-1 preamp, and a pair of SKB 2 space rack cases off ebay, and a new QSC RMX-1450, all for about $600. No complaints.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I bought a brand new Crown XLS402, a used BBE 383 pre-amp, and an SKB 6-space case for just under $450 total. I think the XLS series from Crown is the best bang for the buck for a brand new power amp. Once again, that is not a fact, simply what I decided after some research.

That set-up works perfect for me. I play alternative, and some metal like you do.

Just wondering.....what type of cabs do you have now? Or, is that your next question? :)
  6. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Brand new Read Custom Purity preamp, QSC PLX2402 poweramp powering 2 Ampeg BXT410HL cabs. I have a new SWR I.O.D. I was using prior to getting my Purity. It has a fat tone and the ability to get really grungy. I prefer a clean tone, hence the Purity. I've owned the Alembic F1-X which is also an awesome sounding preamp.

IMO the beauty in having a separate pre/power rig is that you can buy a different preamp for the tone you desire.

P.M. me if you're interested in my I.O.D.-I may want to sell it.