Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amp, power-amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpiralEyes123, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Right now I have an SWR Bass 750 with an avatar 212 cab. The sound is good but not what im looking for. I was think of doing the whole power am preamp thing and was looking at QSC for the poweramp and tech21 for the Preamp. For under about $1000, what is the most powerful and best sounding QSC and what is a good preamp to go with it ?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    A good reference for used gear prices is PrePal, and eBay. There are several on-line merchants that sell brand new QSC power amps as well.

You might want to hit up the QSC website first to see which one you want, and then start shopping for prices. Alot of your decision will come down to size, and weight. All of the QSC gear is of high quality, just depends on how much you are willing to carry.

-Mike

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Check out the RMX & PLX series amps. I use a PLX2402, it's relatively lightweight. It puts out 700 watts RMS per side into a 4 Ohm load, which is plenty for me. The more powerful PLX 3002 & 3402 weigh the same as my 2402. I've seen really good prices on them at Lord Valve's website.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    On the pre side of things there are so many options it isn't funny ... If you are looking for clear / transparent then the ART Tube Channel mic pre is worth a look. Has a very nice warmth from the tubes. Enough gain to drive My Crown just fine and very musical sounding. Also works nicely ahead of my Tascam 788's input. Ebay pricing from $150 to $200. Fairly available and built like a tank. Only downside is the rear panel input. I'm looking for more of these for my recording rack ...

I listened to an Alembic FX1 a while ago. Tonally it sounded like an old Dual Showman but with the power behind it (PLX something or other ...) on steroids.

As my small rig is a Bassman I of course loved it. Got that tone already though and I don't need that tone louder than the little 50 watter will go ...

5. If you deal with the extra weight, the QSC RMX 1850 is a killer power amp. It is also less expensive than the PLX of simular power. With the saved money you can go for a better pre-amp. Check out the www.basstasters.com web site.

6. well thanks, I think the QSC plx 2402 is what im looking for. Its about 700 on ebay which leves me about 300 for a pre-amp.

Do you think it would be a better idea to get the RMX 2450 for $600 and get a better preamp ? And any other ideas for a preamp.