pre-amp/power amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by -Kramer-, Apr 6, 2004.

1. -Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok, so i've decided i need to upgrade my hartke rig(Hartke 2000, transporter 4x10 and transporter 1x15). I was thinking of getting a power amp and a pre-amp along with a 8x10 and 1x18. Just wanted to get some comments/suggestions on this setup.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion, its overkill.

Get LOTS of power, and run it through EITHER a good 8x10, or a 4x10 and a 1x15 (or my preference, two 4x10's).

If you need more coverage than that, you need PA support, not more stage coverage.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with Eric. Plus, I hated having to move my old 8-10" around. I sold it and bought 2 4-10" cabs. Most of the time, I only have to use one cab, but I don't slap much. I mainly play fingerstyle and occasionally use a pick, so a 4-10" works fine for me. If you use mainly a 5-string and slap a lot IMO, the 1-15"/4-10" setup would be a nice choice. I've never used an 18" so I can't offer any advice on it. Keep reading posts from the guru's on this forum. I've learned a ton in my short time here!

I use a Pre/Power rackmount setup, and IMHO they're awesome. I have 2 different tube preamps. One has a clean tone the other has a bit of grit. I use either preamp depending on the type of tone I need.

Best wishes, A.P.