1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pre amp, power amp, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Someone explain this to me. I am relatively new to stacks. I am trying to put together a stack that will fit my playing style, but also my budget. What is the difference between a pre amp and a power amp?

Thanks.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Typically, preamp contains all of the controls, and puts out a signal at a fairly standardized level. Power amp takes that signal and boosts it up to the voltage and current required by your speakers. Loosely speaking, preamp = tone, power amp = volume. Things are a bit different with tube gear, where the power amp is expected to contribute somewhat to tone.

A "head" is preamp plus power amp in one package.

Why do you want a stack?

3. I am upgrading to at least a half stack, probably a whole stack so that I will have the power to gig. I am going to start with a 410, and then probably add a 15" cab, or maybe an 18".

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    You do not need a 410 and a 115 to gig. I do just fine with a single 210 most of the time.

5. Some people can't get away with just a 210. I know I couldn't. It depends on what situation the original poster of this thread is in.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I know I couldn't either. Every place I play does not have PA support, so I have to compete volumewise.