Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre amp Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by outofthedeep, Jul 6, 2004.

1. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    I have a Dean Q5 with the EMG HZ's, and I am looking to get a new pre amp in it. Any suggetions on what is best to go with the pickups? Also, does anyone know what type of pre amp is in it now? I think it is a standard Dean, but I am not sure.

Also, I am looking at getting a new bridge, even though that question belongs in another forum, I thought I would get both out of the way here..... So any suggestions on that as well would be helpful..... Thanks

2. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    bump.....

Come on guys!!! A little help on how to make theese pickups sound better!!!

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK. You'll need to give some more info first though

1) Describe the current sound
    1) What don't you like about that sound?
    3) What sort of sound are you looking for?
    4) What's your budget?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Also, it would help to know how much spare space you have in the control cavity. Some preamps are larger than others. How many holes does this bass have for control knobs?

5. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    My tone seems a bit flat sometimes, even when I get what is a great sounding tone, it seems... maybe "lifeless" ??
    Maybe it is just the passive pickups, that I am trying to make active....

As for the space, I belive there is plenty of room in the cavity, although I have yet to pop it open and look, and I have 4 knobs at the moment .. you can see pics here....

http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_q4_q5.htm

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    first up, I don't know what preamp is in dean basses.

ok, also you haven't said what you're looking for in your sound. You say your sound is 'lifeless', do you mean it has no bite? If that's the case, then maybe you're needing a preamp which has midrange boost?

If that's the case, you have several options:
    1) EMG BQS system. vol, blend, bass/treb, mid freq/cut&boost. Actually, I think you can only use this one with active pickups so you might want the BQS Control instead which you can use with passive pups.
    2) Aguilar obp-3 in a 4 knob config (vol,blend,mid,stacked b/t)
    3) Bartolini NTMB preamp for 4 knob config (probably config 4.6)

Since you didn't say your budget, I don't know which of these will fit your pocket. Also, how experienced are you in this sort of work - or are you planning on getting a tech to do it? You can buy 2) and 3) from bestbassgear.com and Brian there will set you up with pre-wired configs so there's only minimal work to be done by you or your tech.

7. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    First let me say thanks for all the help you are getting me.
    Sorry my information is lacking, and sort of vauge, but I am making theese posts on the fly, as life is very hectic right now.

As far as the best way to describe "lifeless" is that it has no texture. I seem to have plenty of lows, mids and highs, and the tone is good, but its just not GREAT. hope that helps.

The preamp in it now is a Dean 3D. I don't know anything about them, and their website has nothing in the way of specs on it.

My budget, if and when I decide to do it, will be whatever it costs for the best sound. I need something that can play anything from piano and acoustic driven worhip music at church, to hard alt. rock.

All that said, should I stick with the HZ's and change pre's? or should I go to a true active w/ new pre?

Oh, and I have a certified EMG tech at my local store, so he will be doing all thework.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's hard to make preamp recommendations, as there are so many factors involved - wood, strings, pups, fingers, personal preference. It's harder still with little specific info to work with.

All of the preamps I mentioned are quality, but might not be what you want.

But here's something to consider: A good preamp will make a good sound better, but in my experience it won't make a bad sound good. I learned that lesson the expensive way.
    So if you aren't getting a good fundamental sound out of your pickups with eq flat, maybe you should consider changing pickups instead of / in addition to the preamp.