1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pre amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flag2Flag, May 10, 2006.

1. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey, ive got a qestion, if i buy a power amp, what else do i need to be able to play. is all i need a power amp and a power amp?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. Make sure you use instrument cables between the preamp and poweramp. Keep these as short as possible. One thing to keep in mind is balanced/unbalanced connections.
    Most bass preamps are unbalanced. Most poweramps have balanced connections. Some poweramps that are balanced can accept an unbalanced connection without modification. This can be done because of the way a 2 ring jack plug will connect with a 3 ring jack socket. Internally the amp will do what is needed for the connection to work correctly. However with some poweramps if you are going to use an unbalanced connection you need to make up an unbal to bal cable. If the poweramp only has a xlr input socked this is more likely. Check the manual of the poweramp you are thinking of buying first. It should say if it can accept unbalanced cable with out being modified.