1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pre amp question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by klem.gote, Apr 11, 2009.

1. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hello,

Not much experience here with different kinds of gear over the years, been mostly a "plug and play" guy. I have a Fishman Pro Platinum pre amp, which I like. I go through the effects return channel on the back of my SWR WorkingPro 12. Do people ever use these through the regular input channels? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of doing so, and if I did where would I set the tone controls on the amp? Also, when going through the effects return channel, where should I set the EFX blend control, dry or wet? Thanks for any info!!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You can go through the main input just fine with the outboard preamp. That will make the preamp and tone controls in the SWR active. You'll have to twiddle some knobs to see if you get the sound you are looking for that way or directly into the poweramp. When going through the return, I turn the blend all the way wet, seems ok. All the way dry means that no signal will go through.

3. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    You can do either, but the main input is great on the WM 12, because it has an effects blend. A lot of heads allow you to bypass the preamp when you plug into the effects loop, some don't. But plug right into the front, and if you want to be all fishman turn the knob clockwise, and if you want to go all swr, counterclockwise. I have a couple swr preamps, and usually keep my blend knob at 50/50 (with an array running into the fx loop).

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The Fishman might do some impedance matching. I don't know what the input impedance on the new SWRs are. I had the WM12 for a while and just used the Fishman Platinum Pro in line and went into the regular input. I really like that amp I just wanted something a bit easier to carry. Plus the phase reverse and HPF are nice to tame feedback.

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Reading this thread prompted me to try all three of my pre-amps into each of my Polytone's inputs (normal low-gain, F/X In and Pre-amp In ). The Pre-amp In (pre-amp bypass) yielded the best sound. It wasn't even close. The F/X and normal inputs gave a brittle, annoying sound. As always, YRMV.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    To reinforce an earlier post, it depends on the effects on your particular amp.

A parallel effects loop adds whatever you put in the loop to the existing straight signal. In this case, you'd not want to use the ProEQ Platinum Bass DI in that sort of loop, because if you inverted the polarity and/or did other stuff it might not affect the entire signal resulting at the output. However, in cases where you wouldn't want an actual effect to dominate the signal, you could retain a good percentage of the original signal, mixing it in.

A series effects loop actually interrupts the signal, so whatever is in the loop is fully effective on the signal. If you plug a cable into the send jack and the amp goes completely silent, that's what you have. That would be ok for the case at hand.

However, I agree with all that suggest you try it in both positions and use what works best.

7. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hi, and thanks for your opinions. I appreciate it, though I still get a little lost when the talk turns technical!! But it all raises another question for me; if I'm going to use my Fishman pre amp and bypass the pre amp my SWR, why use an amp at all as opposed to a powered speaker? Maybe there's something about it that I just don't understand at all.

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    If you bypass the pre you are basically using it as a powered speaker. The cabinet is designed with bass in mind but you are right that sans pre it is just a power amp and a speaker.

9. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Yes, and that's another point. If you're going to use a pre amp to get your sound, why use a bass amp instead of a powered speaker? Is it cost, or size, or are there other reasons not to go this route?

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    ;)

11. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Right.

The way a cab is "tuned" has a lot to do with how it will sound and perform with various instruments. Everything from driver, dampening, and box size will influence the sound of a particular enclosure.

12. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Yes, I understand that, but with all the equipment available now, surely there must be powered speakers out there that would do the job just as well.

13. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Sure and there are. Do a search 'round here. Problem is there are others on the market that might not work as well. As adbass points out there is more that goes into cab design just the size of the driver.

14. i often plug in through the input if i want the amps eq controls too and if its voicing goes along well with that of the preamp in the amp! it also gives me way way more volume

15. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Yes, I've tried mine into the regular input but couldn't get a good sound at all. It was very harsh, not at all natural sounding. I like the control the Fishman Pro Plat gives me.

16. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Hey chief. You may have seen this thread re: powered PA-style cabs vs. trad bass amps and speakers already, but if you haven't, I thought it was interesting.

Interesting because among other things it starts off talking about using mics, which is my thing.

And interesting because one of the "hot new" (not so new anymore) bass amps mentioned is the powered IP-112 from Bergantino. One of its selling points is DSP. Well, like what you alluded to, DSP was in use in powered PA style cabs long before Bergantino built it into a bass rig.

There are some other good threads on powered speakers too. I did a search recently, here.

Edit - I may try one or more of these powered cabs at some point, esp. for mic only type gigs, and esp. if I ever am in a situation where I need a multi-purpose PA cab on a semi- or regular basis. Heck I am just trying to stay open minded as to what might make a good sound. But I am not planning on ditching any of my EA cabs.