Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-Amp recommendations??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arepal, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Arepal

Arepal

Aug 26, 2004
    Hey guys,
    So...I finally have come down to my last and very important piece to my new rig, the Preamp, and need help from you wise folks. So far its a G&L ASAT (active 4string) then a stewart world 1.6 to a Ampeg 410HLF. I play rock mostly, with some distortion (I use a Moogerfooger Ring Mod, and EHX Bass Microsynth as well as a Graphic Fuzz) and alot of thumping fingerstyle driving tones. No slap/pop stuff for me.
    I had a Sans RBI, but sold it not because I didnt like it, but because I wanted to place my money towards a nice warm rich tube preamp instead, and had my eyes focused on the new AMPEG SVPCL.
    I just wanted to ask a few questions:
    Any comments on the SVPCL?
    Any recommendation on other similarly priced Pre's?
    If I could find used, I should get a....?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

2. Arepal

Arepal

Aug 26, 2004
    thanks for the link...havent found the ampeg svpcl on there but ill keep looking and listeing

Thanks again!

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Do a search.... I'm sure there was a thread not-too long ago that had a great review on the SVP-CL and included comparison's to the SVP-PRO.

I think the CL would suit you well. Other options could be Demeter, Aguilar, or possibly the BMax-t.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I have the CL. i think its much more suited to fingerstyle than slap. i suggest looking at the BBE's also.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Don't discount it because of the name, but a Peavey Max Preamp is versatile, and warm. You just need to replace the stock tube. I'm surprised that Ebozz hasn't chimed in yet with the Max.

Anyway, you can get one used for $150-$200. It has a solid state and tube channel. You can use one, or both. The preamp works well with distortion, and it has a built-in crossover. How cool is that?

I have an Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp, and I prefer the Peavey. The Ampeg is more of a one trick pony to me, but the trick it does is quite good (vintage tone). But the preamp in my rack is the Peavey.

Do a search on here, and you'll get some great reviews.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if yo ucan hear one for yourself i'd recommend you try out an SWR Interstellar Overdrive. Its a great rock preamp that lets you blend in the tube stage into the direct sound, and seperately lets you control the drive into powertubes to give you anything from full and clear tube sound to full overdrive.

its on the basstasters site too so you can compare it to the svp-pro at least.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm selling a BBE-Max-T for $350 shipped if that ends up floating your boat. It's like an Alembic F-1X with more mid control and gain. I owned both the Aguilar 659 and F-1X before this, and I preferred the BBE-Max-T over all in live situations.

All 3 of those preamps rock for fingerstyle. The Ampeg stuff would do you just fine too, but be warned the svp-pro is a little noisy.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know if this is in the price range or not, but the Read Purity should be on the top of the list in its price range.;)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sorry for being sooo curt, but i'm sure listening to the samples, you can find what you want.

my money tho for warm, rich would be Eden's Navigator. awesome warm, furry, fatness. for a glossier, richer warm sound, Kern's IP777 is dang nice.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D I've been chiming about the MAX for so long that I figure if they haven't heard me by now, they're not going to hear me. It is a great misunderstood little preamp though. ;)

11. Arepal

Arepal

Aug 26, 2004
    Now im more confused than ever!
    I guess the point/pro of using a a pre power setup is that I can try all of these at some point. thanks for all your input!

SWR Interstellar sounds great, but out of my range, The BBE Im debating about...
    when i compared pres in basstasters, I gotta say i liked the ampeg pro (the cl isnt on there as yet) because of the robust mids, toned feel, I know the higher end ones are good because they are uncolored and "flat" but..i dunno...

Oh yeah and I like the little green glowing logo that would match my cab!
    What a dork huh?

Thanks again for your help!

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    let me just say this -I've had just about all the peamps that have been mention in this thread but I gotta tell ya,my Ampeg SVPCL preamp is just in another class all together.
    I plan using this thing for awhile but the Demeter,and the Aguilar 680 ( my former preamp) are very good preamp.
    Now from what I hear,the New Fender ( thats right !) preamp is supposed to rival just about anything that's out there.I've heard there new 800 bass head thru a pair of SWR 4x10's and I was like......DAMN ! this is a "bitch of a rig.So it would not supprise me if this new preamp that Fender has constructed is as good as it is said to be.
    Happy Hunting,and Good Luck !

13. Arepal

Arepal

Aug 26, 2004
    Fender huh?

Hmmmmm......
    but does it have shiny green logo lights?

Just kidding, I will take a peek at Fender and see what happens. So far I havent heard one bad thing about the SVPcl though!

Thanks again for your input!

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lotsa good used preamps here, bassgear, and e-bay
    i havent heard the bbe but im sure it rocks
    i use a demeter and an alembic myself but i'm a preamp junkie so im sure ill end up with more
    i wonder.........if the new fender sounds so good could it be that they're using the old showman circuit and using good components?
    (the alembic preamps are the fender showman circuit. when i asked micha why the sounded so good she said cause they use very good components so the tone isnt variable like on many other cheaper units)

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Cheap: used Yamaha pB-1, If you can find a Trace Valve Pre, that was kinda hip. The Alembic FX-1 was cool but no mids, think I dig my Demeter HPB1 the best so far. Eden Navigator very punchy, Like it better than my Eden WT 800, go figure. (Maybe had something to do with that 1400 watt Crown power amp I was using???) Ampeg SVP: noisey, crunchy, punchy, gritty gusty hissey pissey.

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i can send you a print out of my avatar. Use it whereever you wish.
    :)

i wish Mesa would make a pre-only of the M-Pulse...or am i missing something?

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The CL is just as tight with a slap style player as with a finger style.I play both styles.I have to agree with on the BBE,its a damn good preamp for the price.