Pre-amp style Q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canopener, Jun 17, 2004.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Silly question, but I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't been able to piece together the answer yet. We've got onboard pre's, stompbox-type pre's, and rack-mount type pre's, aside from the obvious, what's the main difference between the three in function?
  2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    here is an un-educated guess. the verstility and the flexibility is a big difference. an onboard preamp is going to give you basic EQ controls, where as a stomp box will provide a little more than just basic EQs (not always though, as in all of life there are many excpetions to the rules). The rack mount style tend be the most powerful in terms on control and sound customization. These also allow the introduction of tubes into the signal path (though some stomp boxes do as well). The rack mounts will have more features like compression and finer EQ control.
  3. The stomp box preamps usually have a lower output voltage than a rack-mount.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There's no difference in function other than the output level (i.e. rack pres are made to drive power amps, on boards and stomps are designed to drive another preamp).