Pre amp suggestions for Schroeders

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Eden Navigator

2. Aguilar DB 659

3. Demeter VTB 201s

4. Alembic F1X

5. Warwick

0 vote(s)
  6. BBE Bmax T

7. Other

8. Sardines

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Well my fellow TBers, I am looking to buy a pre-amp to go with my QSC PlX 1602. The speaker cabs I want to power are a Schroeder 1212 and 1210 (which I have). What is your recomendation? I play Spector, Modulus and Fender basses. My main style is funk Jam (is that a style?). My budget is around $750.00. I am looking for something that is in between Hi-Fi and Tube warm, I like to slap on occasion. If you didn't vote for any of the above choices, then what would you suggest?
  2. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i vote Aggie DB 659, I dont ahve experience with schroes but it is definitely a combination of Hi-Fi and Tube-Warm from my experience. I had a SWR IOD which was lean and mean, and an Ampeg SVP-Pro whitch was think tubey goodness, and the Aggie is in between with the best of both worlds.

it just sounds GOOD.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say the alembic. the schroe 1210 i heard was pretty aggressive, and would need something to sorta tame that. the gooey, syrupy tones of the alembic would sweeten that bad boy easily. you can find alembic's pretty easy used, and the price wont knock you senseless.
  4. Fender TBP-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I've been using both a Demeter HBP-1 tube pre and the Ampeg SVP-pro with my 1212.....they both sound really good, though they're completely different tone-wise.

I like the parametric on the HBP-1, it helps dial in a great tone with the natural mid bump of the 1212 cab. I'm using a CA-9 to power it.
  6. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I have an Ampeg SVPCL, and I love the tone...but that's me (I love the 'old' tone I have). Alembic is great too, but a bit more pricey. I know you can get the SVPCL for approx $450-$500 new, hard to say what you can get it for used. There were some early ones that didn't have real hot output, and Ampeg authorized service to fix that...mine didn't need that (and my power amp is powerful enough that it didn't matter, I can still put enough into my 21012 to make it roar...going to get a 410 light to stack on top of it...I see car alarms being triggered in the near future...).

Hope you find what you love!
  7. Played a couple of Schroeders with an Alembic F1 and Pete Skjold's prototype. If it says Skjold on it, BUY it!!! The mids were just amazing and I'm told he has tweaked it even further since. I think they'll be in production very soon. I think Tom Bowlus or Juneau has one of the prototypes and could give a much better description. That's where my $ is goin.
  8. BTW,
    He's working on an all-tube head and a new line of cabs. I think Pete has a better handle on the concept of tone than the Bigs.
  9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    If you can be patient, I'd also recommend the soon to be released Skjold pre-amp.
    I've owned a variety of preamps and regular heads in the last 20 years and I've never heard anything like the Skjold.
    I've played through it a few times now. Each time I played through it, I'd think it was the best thing I'd ever heard. I'd play through it a couple weeks later, after Pete would tweek it, and it would sound even better than the last time.
    It's going to be amazing.
    I'm thinking about going back to a pre/power set-up using Pete's pre and a PLX through a Schroeder 410 light.
  10. Matt I'm thinking of something similar, didn't want to get rid of the head til I played through Pete's pre. Lord the much pressure.......
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't heard all the preamps on the list, but this is exactly what I was thinking.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I'm very impressed with the Skjold tube preamp, and from what I know of the upcoming line of cabs, I have high hopes for them as well.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an eden Nav, and a qsc plx 1602 that I use with Schroeder cabs. It works out really well.
  14. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'll be putting me two Lights through the paces with an Aggie 680, IOD, and a superfilter, when they arrive
  15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for the replies fellas, I am not in a hurry to buy, I will take my time so that I do not regret my purchase. keep the suggestions coming, I am curious about the Skjold pre.