1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-amp Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Justin Tuskey, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hey everyone, I have done a lot of searching, and still am even right now. But man preamps are a hard thing to describe without trying one. So Im just looking for opinions here. You dont even have to have experience with a particular preamp, I just want to know what people think:
    I just bought an Ibanez SR506 and wow it feels great in my hands. I like the tone from it to an extent, but sometimes it can get frustrating. Ive read a lot about the MK1 "bart" pickups and they dont seem to pose much threat. Im more concerned with the preamp. Ive looked at many and I dont really know what I want. Ive obviously thought about the Bart NTMB 5.2 which is a perfect drop in and upgrade. but then Ive researched some on Norstrand, Aguilar, Audere, Delano, and Glockenlang. I have an Audere in my sx jazz and LOVE it, but dunno how it would act in this bass. Everything changes. Like I said, this isnt a "I havent researched anything" thread, its just a "I would like some input and opinions" thread. Money isnt really an option but I dont want to go over $250 (most preamps arent that much anyway) Thanks guys!

Note: I am talking about onboard preamps only to replace the semi-ok one in my SR506

2. I know you said you're trying to keep it under $250, but I bought an EBS Microbass II about a month ago and I'm completely sold on this unit. So many options, direct out, A/B tone selection, effects loop with mix plus a headphone jack for practice. It'll set you back about $400 though. Otherwise a lot of people love Sansamp and I've read great things about the SAdowsky outboard preamp.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Dump the MK1's ... Nord Big Splits ... do the pre later. Based on my experience with a 55-01 the MK1's don't sound good enough to justify a pre as good as an Audere ... The Big SPlits in the 55-01 were a huge improvement and that takes you to ... yeah, now you're going to want to change the pre... so in reality it's a $500 bill to do it right but you might as well clean up the input to the pre first ... You also have the option of running the Big Splits passive... Do a V/T & V/T setup for a while. They are good enough to not really need much in the way of EQ.

4. I just dont want an outboard box right now. maybe that will come later, Im just strictly looking for options to change the tone on the bass itself for now

5. Ive actually looked at the Nord pups, got lots of gas for them, but unfortunately not the cash to do the pups and the preamp, and I want to do the preamp first. I wish I could experiment with many combinations, but alas...money is the issue there

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love my Bart pre. I have had it in all my basses.
    Put Bart pups later and you're set.

7. i've got an Aguilar OBP-3 with the Mk1 pups, and it totally changed the tone....i don't even mess with the 3-band eq...i went the same route in changing the preamp first...

+1 for Aguilar

8. thanks for the input. Steve C, can you describe the true bart tone? Ive heard low and low mid focused, with airy highs.

Rafterman, I havent heard the Aguilar tone described other than fat.

Thanks guys

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'd encourage you to check out the ACG preamp.

After much deliberation I put one in my Ibanez.
    I have never been so satisfied with a modification as with this.
    Do a search and read a bit on them - I also posted some samples. I'd only had the pre a few days so I could do better now dialing in the tones, but it gives a pretty good idea of what the pre is capable of doing.

Heck, I'll even point you to some key threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465096

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429951

10. the aguilar is very smooth and full...it's the best preamp i've ever played with...i've tried G&L L-2000s and USA Peavey Cirruses....Aguilar hands down

11. maybe I should be more specific, I want a hi fi modern tone. I dont necessarily slap (often) but I like the clear crisp sound of clear mids (with an option of getting growly) and deep lows and snappy highs. after some extensive research i am thinking of doing Nordy DC wired in parallel with a glock preamp. I think I WILL do the pickups first though, and see what kind of clear tone I can achieve. Ive been gassing hard for some Nordys :)