pre-amp tube in a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Apr 21, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was wondering do differnt tubes have differnt sounds? well i know they do,but which sounds better what brand and what kind?
    the tube is in my hartke 2000 head. i want a nice sound for everything. it would be nice to have a nice breakup for a natrual distortion
    any suggestions?
    how much and where?

thanks steve
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    doesn't anybody know of one?
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are a couple of people 'round here who know, but I don't see their names very often. You might try a search on this topic, because I remember there was a discussion a long time ago on a similar topic.

But, the short answer is that tubes do supposedly sound different from one another.
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Different tubes can really improve the sound of most preamps. I've tried most every tube available and have found that NOS USA or European tubes sound much better than the tubes being produced today.

email me or call and I'll try to help you. We had a power blip at home tonight and some files in my computer were corrupted. My wife (bless her) has been working on it and may have it up and running later today.

I'm at work and will be sleeping until about 1:00 this afternoon when I get home.