Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre amp tube switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Jul 17, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I replaced my GT 12ax7a that I think comes standard in the SM400 with a Ruby Tube 7025 STS. It's really interesting how different pre amp tubes can change your tone. This tube really warmed up the tone and mellowed out the top end I always thought the SWR highs were a little brittle sounding. This Ruby tube has alot more gain also. I'm guessing that's the reason my amp seems a bit louder than it used to. Anybody else have any experience with these Ruby tubes? It's not a 12ax7a so I'm wondering if it might mess something up by using it in place of a 12ax7a.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I think its a lower gain valve.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Could be. I know nothing about tubes. It just seems louder. Maybe it just sounds fatter so it seems louder. Either way it sounds pretty good. Any problems with it not being a 12ax7?

4. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’m fairly certain a 7025 is an old industrial number for a 12AX7. The typical gains should be the same. I think what you are hearing is the difference between two slightly different tubes. It’s amazing how changing a single tube can alter the character of an amp. There is no problem using either of these two in place of each other.