Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre amp tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jul 16, 2002.

1. I own an swr workingman head. I have no mids with my head. A buddy of mine owns some hartke head. And his head makes my bass sound incredible. His head isn't one of the better hartkes and he says he just has a nice pre amp tube in his. Does anyone know if changing the pre amp tube will make a difference in mids.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    all i know is that the workingman series have solid state preamps so you can put a tube in but i think it might do a little more harm than good :D (in other words its not a tube preamp)

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I don't think you can just stick a tube in a solid state preamp, but you could buy your own tube preamp. You can sometimes find a demeter vtbp-201 on ebay for as little as $300, or you could look into SWR preamps like the interstellar overdrive. Just plug your bass into the preamp, and run the preamp's output into your FX loop return jack. That way, you're still using the power section of your head but with a different preamp and EQ section.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

its prolly alot more to it than just tubes that makes the Hartke sound better to you. but you could try a tube swap for kicks.

EH 12AX7's seem to be pretty hot with a nice crunchy midrange. good price, good build, and great place to start.

Tubes you might wanna STAY AWAY from are JAN Phillips 12AX7's which have a slight valley to its mids, but have airy openness. and JAN GE's have an even larger valley, tho it has an even larger sound stage than the other tubes.