Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amp with a power amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lam90, Jan 23, 2003.

1. lam90

lam90

Jan 21, 2003
    Hey I'm looking to buy a QSC power amp RMX or PLX? I know that the RMX is heavier but does that matter? Is there really a difference in sounds?

In the way of a pre-amp I'm looking for something that will complement a funk, jazz fusion, rock....(and whatever else) taste in playing.

I also want 2x10 with a horn...I'm thinking wayne jones but I'm up for suggestion...Help me guys I need some direction...
    :(

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have an RMX I just bought. I would say that you are right; weight is the main difference. I notice there are lots of folks who USED to own RMX amps that now own PLX, but none swapped the other way. I would say if you have the money and plan on playing lots of shows, get the PLX right off. If money is the main factor and you have a hand truck, get an RMX and be happy. You'll also want to spend the $20 on rear rackmounting ears available from their web site; this allows you to spread the load on the front and rear rack rails.

3. <<"Hey I'm looking to buy a QSC power amp RMX or PLX? I know that the RMX is heavier but does that matter? Is there really a difference in sounds? ">>

I don't think there is much difference in sound.

<<"In the way of a pre-amp I'm looking for something that will complement a funk, jazz fusion, rock....(and whatever else) taste in playing.">>

The choices are too many to count. If you want a pre-amp with a bunch of different tones, amp models and effects, look at the Line6 pod-pro. I've got one and it does what they say it will do. It's not for everyone but it gives you a lot of bang for the buck. If you want pretty much a one trick pony with a great tone, look at the Alembic F1-X. Best tube tone(imho) out there but, it doesn't have a lot of features. On that same vain but with a bit more modern tone, look at the Demeter. Very highly spoken of on this forum. Ampeg, Kern, Aguilar, Sans-amp, Raven, and I'm sure a few I didn't think of, make fine pre-amps. I'd say start by finding pre-amps that have the features you want and then start eliminating them one at a time through a tone comparason. Or until you get tired of the whole thing and then buy the one that makes your heart go fastest.

<<"I also want 2x10 with a horn...I'm thinking wayne jones but I'm up for suggestion...Help me guys I need some direction...">>

As for Wayne Jones, there just arn't too many of them in WV for me to try so I can't comment. For me, 2x10's and a horn just isn't enough moving mass to satisfy my needs, I gotta have at least a 4x10 so I can't be of much help here...........good luck.....
    :D :D

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The only knock I've heard about RMX's is from the "elitists" who claim the PLX's don't have the "brittle high end of the RMX's."

To me, these are the same people who talk about a wine's "impish foreplay on the back of their palate." Joe Blow trying to hook-up at the club/concert could care less about my "brittle high-end."

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    When I was shopping around for a QSC I concluded the only substantial (that is, detectable difference to the human senses) between the two was the weight. For me, the difference in cost was worth the extra weight and I recently bought an RMX.

So you have to decide if you are willing to pay for 22 fewer pounds.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I pretty much agree on the sonic thang re: the RMX and PLX line. In my case, a bad back DID make the extra dough worth it when I bought my PLX 1602, however. 22 pounds is amazingly heavy at 2am when your back is killing you after 4 sets.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a couple PLX's the 2402/3002, and I spent the extra bucks mainly for the weight factor......but I still carry around 90 pound speaker cabs......go figure:D

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Plx 1602 here. And yes weight was the deciding factor. As far as a pre amp goes, I'm still looking for one. I think I've decided on the SWR IOD, but the new Epiphany pre amps look interesting too. I'll just have to wait till I can find one to try it.

9. PLX2402 Nice.
    After lugging around my beloved Mesa 400+ for quite a few years, there was no question what I would buy....
    In the very wise words of my pal Jerry....I'm still lugging around one 85lbs and 93lbs cab. I get my wife to help me lift into my van :rolleyes: