Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-amp with sweepable midrange

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emielow, Aug 4, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i have a j-retro pre-amp in my jazz bass, and i was wondering if there are more pre-amps with a sweepable mid-range...

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    there's always the U Retro by John East :D

IIRC one of the Ernie Ball basses (Bongo?) has a dual mid.

A second IIRC - I read here on TB that there's a mod possible to an Aguilar that will give you the sweepable mid. Might be worth your search time

R

3. I know my BTB has a sweepable mid, and theres a mod to give an agular pre one eh?

This is interesting, i was looking at an agular pre as an added circuit to a passive bass . . . the sweepable mid would probably seal the deal

I thinks i shall be watching this space!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Aguilar obp-3 can sweep between 400 and 800hz.

The EMG preamp can be gotten with mid sweep also. Personally, I've found two / three fixed positions more usable for me in a live scenario.

5. I prefer having a rotary control over a range, that way you turn it up hit a couple notes while turning it and you can always hit a sweet spot with it

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Concur with David. I've had both the EMG and OBP-3 set up with the variable and to me it was not only difficult to find a tone with it but practically impossible to get back to that setting if you ever left it. I've also got a Lightwave with a midsweep control that I find pretty useless.

The most practical setup for super tweaking is something programmable you can dink with till your there, save it, and punch one button to get you back there. If nothing else - you know that is the exact setting you dialed in previously then you can do a minor tweak on simple controls on the bass pull you into the tune/setting at hand.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, programmable preamps are cool. My friend had a vigier bass that had programmable eq, it was very cool but unfortunately the bass needed a power supply(!)