Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre Amp!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coleman, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    Which preamp is good but not expensive?
    and preamp can increase the input gain and make the sound loud?
    if i have a preamp i should jack in active or passive in the amp?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whats your price range Cole? there are lots to choose from.

also, as for the inputs, if your bass is using a battery, then you should use the "active" input. if your bass is "passive" in other words, does not use a battery, then use the passive input.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yamaha PB1, non longer in production, but easy to find, and costs about 100 or less

Peavey Max, great preamp, just cursed with the Peavey name. EXCELLENT value. Runs 250 or less new.

Sansamp BDDI- Good, but you might need to do a mod (very easy, even for the electronically stupified) to push some poweramps. Runs 150 new.

Used Ampeg SVP-Pro and SVP-BSPs, which run about 300ish used I believe.

4. I've got a Sans Amp RBI and it sounds great.Very easy to get a good sound and a good manual that explains it's use.It's the rackmount version of the Sans Amp Bass Driver pedal and has more output to drive a power amp plus an effects loop.They go for about $300 new but you can find used ones once in a while in the classifieds on Talkbass.I've also heard the old Yamahas are real nice.A friend of mine has been using one for years and still loves it.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i say peavey max is a great buy..

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The F-1X is a great preamp but there's not much versatility to it in my opinion. If you don't like the tone that you get from it or if you need to get something different out of it, you're going to have a hard time doing it. If I'm wrong, please straighten me out!

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Where do you find a NEW Peavey Max for $250? I assume you're talking Ebay because Peavey dealers sell them for around $340

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The list price is about $420.00 so the $340.00 dealer price would be about right. They usually discount from 20 to 30 percent in my area.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    No disrespect or flames intended but, imho, If you don't like what you get out of it then you probably need to plug something else into it.
    True, it's not as versatile as some of the other stuff out there but I'm not a knob-twiddler and I love it's simplicity.
    I use the F-2B..

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    None taken. I'm not a knob-twiddler either but those knobs are sure nice to have when you need them. ;) I tend to just find a sweet spot and leave it alone. From there I make adjustments as needed from my bass or if that doesn't work, the preamp.

This is just my opinion. It's a lot easier to show up at a gig/rehearsal with two solid basses and a versatile rig than to show up with a rig that has limited versatility along with ten basses to choose from. Now, I'm not saying that you have to take ten basses with tha F-1X. I would just prefer to take two versatile basses with a versatile rig.

I don't know a thing about the F-2B. If it's similar to the F-1X and you like it, that's all that matters. Just bear in mind that someone else, like myself, may prefer something different. No disrepect to Alembic or you is intended.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

Well... that is under $400... and IMO those peavey max pres are worth more than that.. Thats not really a biases opinion... I don't own one at the moment.. but i have played on them.. they are great

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't think that I'm biased but I do own one. :) I'm in total agreement with you here! The value of my Max is more than the amount that I paid or the new cost to me.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, I got confused. That would be used for the 250. My bad.

I'm with ya'll though. I mean heck, Gard, Mr. Bass Central hisself used one for a long time, and then only went Demeter because he wanted different, not better. That's one heck of an endorsement, if you ask me.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I guess that I have to see if I can take a look at the Demeter preamps. I'd like something different but I'm finding that this Max gives you a whole lot of diversity if you need it.

15. Demeters are great sounding preamps, but when I had one I needed a stable of basses for different tones demeter is a great pre amp but not all that versitile

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Right on GK. Thanks for the heads up.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, I agree about the great sounding part. No idea what you're talking about on the rest, however. I recently bought a 201s and, despite pretty poor "customer service," (if you wanna call it that) from Demeter, it's a good pre and very versatile. Sounds excellent with my Roscoe's, Modulus's and Ken Smith. I play 6 & 7 string active basses exclusively, however. Maybe it wouldn't be great with an old Fender or something. Dunno. Frankly don't care. But I doubt it. Given the cut/boost capabilities and the presence/bright options, along with being able to select mid and bass ranges to cut/boost, the preamp gives you a lotta ways to go. I will agree with one thing, however: it dang sure ain't a GK! :rolleyes:

18. :mad: Gk's agreeded dont have that many tones either. When I think versaitily I am thinking, lots of different gain sounds, maybe even distortions,

I loved my Demeter when I only played country /classic rock.

I have added metal and jazz to the ends of that spectrum. Jazz would sound great with the demeter, metal thats a maybe.

Who did you deal with at demeter customer serivce? I had them mod my preamp and got great service