Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre amping my rig with the Ampeg SVPCL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cliff1908, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Cliff1908

Cliff1908

Jun 29, 2005
    Hello everybody,

Currently I own an Ampeg B4R head and an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF cabinet. I've also mounted my head in a 4-space Rack (The head is 3 units high) so it leaves me a spot in my rack to fill it up.

My head is pure Solid State and last saturday, I was in a music store where they were selling Ampeg Pre amps.

Are there any bassplayers here that use the Ampeg SVP CL pre amp with a solid state main amp? The price of the SVP Cl is around 550 euro here in Belgium and I'm considering in buying one to boost my sound up and to make it more warmer.

Take care,

Cliff.

2. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I recently buy thie pre, and works excellent, very very clean pre, with excellent low end, very easy to work with. I have to say that I need to crank the gain around 2 o'clock, because of the tube configuration, 12ax7 and 12au7, this pre do not have huge gain, like for example the Bmax-t, or the SVP-BSP.

I tried the BMAX-t once, and this pre have a HUGE gain. I was unable to pass the gain more from 8 o'clock with out blown a speaker!! This one sounds very bassy, no much midrange for my taste

I run this over a QSCplx1202 and avatar B410PRO, I sound awesome
    just my two cents

3. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    another idea is to get the ART tube mic preamp. adds tube warmth. i just run one through ym effects loop on my sansamp to warm it up, and still use the tone controls of the sansamp.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hi, I owned a B4r and 610hlf at one time. great set up, just too much weight for me to haul around. I bought an SVPCL for the same reason and ended up just using the SVPCL with a yamaha power amp. I did try it through the B4r's power section and it sounded fine. One thing I did notice when I A/B'd the B4r against the SVPCL is that the B4r came real close to getting the same sounds as the tube preamp. I guess what i'm saying is that since there isn't that big of a diffrence in sound it may not be worth the purchase. I ended up selling my B4r and am now just using the SVPCL/power amp setup.

5. I agree pretty much with all input so far;

My svpcl is great - my best piece of gear IMO - just love the sound, and EASE of use.
    Bear in mind, it doesn't have an effects loop!
    But saying that - it must have some filtering inside, cos i use up to 7 pedals, and not high quality ones either - and i don't get a sniff of line noise. Very clean head.
    These pre's also have a universal transformer inside - so if you're thinking about buying one from the states 2nd hand (like I did) its just a quick transformer tap and fuse change. :)
    Good Luck

6. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I just purchased the SVPCL and am in LOVE with it. But to be fair, I switched out everything so its probably more than JUST the pre amp. I was Playing an SWR SM900, or else I would use a Sansamp RBI with a Yamaha 2000 watt power amp along with eiter a 2x15 Mesa Boogie, or an Avatar 4x10 with my Fenders (Geddy & Marcus).
    I purchased the SVPCL, an Ampeg Classic 8x10, and a MusicMan Stingray 5, and switched to DR Hi beams, and instantly got the tone I had been looking for for years. I am sure it all played a part, but the pre amp sounds awesome. I am not bridgeing the Yamaha amp though, as the cab is only rated for 800 watts, so I am only giving it 900. I would like to try it with the full 2000, but I am afraid of blowng my speakers.
    But I give the pre amp a HUGE endorsement. I LOVE it. Plus, the big green (a) light is so cool.

Mr. Pitiful.

7. Cliff1908

Cliff1908

Jun 29, 2005
    Thank you everyone for the help and information.

I'll be thinking about it for a few days before I make up my mind concerning purchasing a SVP-CL Pre Amp. The unhappy part is that the Ampeg SVP-BSP isn't available anymore here in Europe so that leaves me a little bit curious about that great pre-amp with high Gain-control. But then again, the Classic Ampeg SVT is legendary, and I know that it will be worth the purchase if I go for it. Thank you all and take care.

Cliff.

8. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    check on ebay for SVP-BSP. There is from time to time that one appears