Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-amping question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gene Machine, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    Hi folks.

I have a 60W hartke combo (1x12) and I really like the tone I can get with my standard jazz bass. BUT, it's obviously underpowered.

I was thinking about getting a carvin power amp. JUST the power amp, no eq'ing, etc, and using the line out of my combo into the power amp, and running both. (was thinking of the avatar 4x10 cab)

does this seem reaonable or foolish. I was hoping to get a kilowatt of power for under $1K

g:bassist:

2. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    First off, you'll be running the signal from the "pre-amp out" jack, not the "line out" jack, into your power amp. Your amp, hopefully, has a pre-amp out on the back panel. If not, you probably won't get what you want.

Secondly, test drive the idea b4 you buy the power amp ( tough to do if you're ordering the amp from carvin ). You may find that part of the sound you love so much is a result of the underpowered amp you're running.

Good luck,

Sleazy