1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pre-amplication

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooVWy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    FIN
    I´m possibly looking pre/power amp combination to replace my Carvin B1500 (not sure yet), that I´m shooting thru Schroeder 410L

ATM I´m playing in three peace band with very low stage volumes (which is nice!). music is stoner/grunge/"old Sabbath"/the Doors/etc. etc. ...kind of rock music.
    Our guitarist has Orange top and 1x12" to run with it.
    I´m playing with Ibanez SR500 BM with bartolinis and active EQ.
    We are tuned one whole step down with all strings and in some song drop the lowest one extra half.

I´ve been considering mostly these (all in same price range @ Finland):
    BBE BMAX-T,
    Fender TBP-1 and
    Gallien-Krueger 2001 RBP.

I´m going to use Pro Co Rat2 and Morley Dual Wah with it.

I tried SansAmps BassDi (programmable) today with my current stack and to me, it sounded horrible. ..or then I´m just too hand to get anything out of it.

I would precciate some opinions about those pre´s.
    ...or some other good options.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think any of them would be fine choices. If it were me, I'd probably go for a used Ampeg SVP Pro, though.

BTW, great call with the Rat II! I have one modded by Robert Keeley with two extra circuits that have more bass response in addition to the original. I still prefer the original blended with a clean sound but the two extra circuits work well for live when you don't want to fool around with running two channels.

3. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    FIN
    cheers.
    Yeah I guess I could dial good sounds from all of those units. It´s quite annoying that there is no place to test them to check their tonal characters. I had that ampeg on my list, but couldn´t find one from anywhere. I also looked for SVT CL, but nada. Well I found new CL from Denmark, but it was almost 300€ more than the ones in my list (in sale).
    USA and EU should make somekind of trade contract so I could order stuff from there without all the customs and taxes circus.

I like that rat2 too. So far only distortion I´ve tried that has pleased my ears. I love what it does harmonically it really make s the sound "sing". Ashdown overdrive sounded ok for more gutter sound in store, but haven´t tested it with my gear.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If you're thinking SansAmp stuff, I think the RBI is a much better way to go. The Bass Driver DI IMHO seems to lose tone quality when you push the gain. The RBI has a lot more control I think.

5. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    FIN
    The RBI would be cheaper than the ones in my list, but I´m a bit concerned it would have the tone I would like, since the Di was so far from it.

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would get the Fender preamp

7. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    FIN
    I think so too.. I´m starting to warm up for the built-in crossover idea and other features. It also seems to have Jensen Di as does the BBE. That crossover could also mean that I should maybe sell my 410L and get 2x12" or 15" with 2x10"´s. ...selling that could make me quite sad though.

argh. difficult choices these tone thingies are they not ?

8. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    I use a 2001RBP and couldnt be happier with my sound ....I also use Carvin cabs and amp.