Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre Amps: Bartolini or Aguilar ?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FumandoV, Nov 24, 2004.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I ordered a custom bass 6 string but still have not decided whether bart or aguilar preamp to place on my new bass. Any confessions? :bassist:

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Both are excellent choices but sound very different from each other. Tell us more about your bass and your musical tastes.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what body / neck woods? What sound do you want? 3 band / 2 band?

5. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I'm going to install soapbar barts'. The woods are zebrawood top, bubinga bottom, 5 piece purple heart and maple neck with pau ferro fingerboard. one piece 6 string bass. Very heavy bass. I play all sorts of music, rock, jazz, funk reggae. I need something versatile. I have a custom 6 string swamp ash 2 piece with bart but it lacks the tighness or thick bass sound, punchyness is what i'm looking for. My bass looks something like this with other mods. :bassist: :cool:

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    And what plans do you have for those Lane Poor pickups? ;)

I might be insane, but I'd be tempted to put the Aguilar preamp in. I think it will give you more of an edge with the Bart pickups.

7. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    The Lane Poor come as standard but I dont like' em. :bassist:

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have the Bartolini 5.4 A/P in both my basses. I love it. actually, every bass I've had that I liked has had Barts in it - preamp and pups.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IMO, the aguilar has more of a thicker bass bost than the bart. Not that the bart bass boost doesn't do the job, but I definitely think the Ag bass boost sounds 'thicker'

10. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Now with all this said, do you guys think 2 band or 3 band? :bassist:

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't tell you whether you'll need 2 band or 3 band. Plenty of people get by with passive, some people use 4 band preamps. I like 3 band, but I can get by fine with 2.
    One thing to remember, and I'm sure you know this already since you've been to bartolini.net and aguilar.com to read up on the preamps (right?). The obp-1 (2 band) is boost only.

12. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Is it important to then have boost/cut features?
    Does the omp-3 have boost/cut? :bassist:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You really like the :bassist: dontcha.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you have a very bright bass, you might want to cut treble. Apart from that, it's a matter of taste and something to think about. I'm not being mysterious, I just don't know what the sound in your head is.

Again, you should go to bartolini.net and aguilaramp.com and read up on their preamps. If you did that, you'd know that the obp-3 has boost/cut in 3 bands. I don't mind helping, but it should be in addition to your own research and not instead of it.

15. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I just prefer to hear it from an actual testimony.

16. If you want the obp-1 preamp but need to cut highs you could always have a passive tone control put on, ala sadowsky. There is a schematic for this on the aguilar site.

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    True 'dat. Forgot about that option.

18. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Well then, finally after all said, which do you guys think is a better pre amp overall, taking in consideration all the ups and downs of each. Bottom line looking for some fatness and punch and dynamic versatility. Thank you for your patience.!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    I LIKE IT!!!

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Neither of them is inherently better than the other - they're both very good preamps, I can't tell you which of the two you'll prefer
    I've heard Ag's sound great in one bass and no so great in another. The same goes for Barts. Unfortunately, the only way to truly know for sure is to try for yourself.
    One thing: The Aguilar preamp is more transparent when eq is flat than the Bart, IMO.

20. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    What do you mean by transparent?