Pre-Amps on Lakland 55-01's....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Sep 12, 2003.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sorry to post this here,,,but I'm not sure where I should put this post...

I'm about 95% sure I'm going to buy a 55-01. My question is, there's an optional Bartolini NTMB pre-amp available.

If I don't get this pre-amp now, is it a pretty easy thing to have it installed later,, either by myself or a quality luthier?

Should I just shell out the cash now? I'd rather not,, as I'd rather spend extra cash on a deluxe finish. Can't install a finish later,, but you should be able to a pre-amp...
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oh, come on... NO replies?
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, there have been other threads on replacing preamps on laklands - either in this forum or the pickups forum. If people don't respond, it's generally a gentle hint to search beforehand.

As you say, replacing the preamp later is easier than replacing the finish.

But you're probably going to end up paying more overall, even if you do install it yourself.
    The stock 55-01 has the Korean made pups and pre, when you buy the US preamp upgrade aren't you also getting the US pups?
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, even if you get the peramp upgrade, the pickups stay the same. I think you might be thinking of the 55-02 instead.

Anyway, I'll take a stab at a reply, and say that:

1) It shouldn't be too hard to replace the preamp yourself (if you're handy with a soldering iron) or have someone else do it for you. Seems like I've seen the Bart 3-band going for $100 or so, though I don't remember whether that included the wiring harness or not. Obviously, buying it with the pots already wired up makes installation a lot easier!

2) I've thought about replacing the preamp in my 55-01, but the stock one is actually decent, so it never seemed worth the trouble. The only really annoying thing about it is that the "passive" switch is actually just an EQ bypass, and if your battery goes dead, it's no help.

5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, If you can't afford both the deluxe finish and the preamp upgrade, get the finish and upgrade the preamp later...but what about getting a deluxe 55-02? Then you will have all american bartolini electronics and the nicer finish.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm wrestling with this idea. But, I'm thinking a deluxe 02 is REALLY over my price point.

Standard 01 = 700
    Standard 01 = w/ Preamp = 850
    Deluxe 01 = 850
    Deluxe 01 w/ Preamp = 1000
    Standard 02 = 1000
    Deluxe 02 = 1200

I'm having a tough time talking myself/wife into $850. I can't get my hands on an 02, to try one out.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    No one understands better than I that price always needs to be a factor with a gear purchase ;)

I guess my point was that you should make sure you are really getting what you want and not settling. Who knows, you might regret it later. You could look for at 55-02 might get lucky! Otherwise, I'd go with the 55-01 deluxe if I were in your shoes. You might like the stock preamp...I do and Mike agrees!
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I think that's the way to go! Thx!