1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pre - amps on Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul Lamont, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Paul Lamont

Paul Lamont

Aug 9, 2000
    I am currently playing a Music Man Stingray on a Trace Elliot 1215 combo (transistor amp). In terms of volume: would it help me if I added a valve pre-amp to my amp to crank up the output volume and still have the same nice active sound? Which pre-amp would be suited the best for the job?

2. Which preamp are you using? I own a 1215SMX combo which uses the 12 band EQ and my amp has a tube preamp built in. The knob is located near the input. If you turn the knob you can mix the solid state and valve preamps. Is your amp a model that uses the 7 band EQ? That model is all solid state. I have not had a problem with volume using my 1215. Maybe you'd be better off investing in an extension cabinet such as a 2x10. A tube preamp might make the amp sound warmer but it won't necessarily make it any louder.

ZB

3. Paul Lamont

Paul Lamont

Aug 9, 2000
    Hello Zoomboy,

Yes, indeed I use a 7 band equaliser. So it probably means it's all solid state.

I'm still figuring out how to get my 300 watt to be heard over a 100 watt Marshall JCM 900. I think I'll try out a new cabinet.

Regards.

Paul L.