pre - amps on Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul Lamont, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Paul Lamont

Paul Lamont

Aug 9, 2000
    I am currently playing a Music Man Stingray on a Trace Elliot 1215 combo (transistor amp). In terms of volume: would it help me if I added a valve pre-amp to my amp to crank up the output volume and still have the same nice active sound? Which pre-amp would be suited the best for the job?
  2. Which preamp are you using? I own a 1215SMX combo which uses the 12 band EQ and my amp has a tube preamp built in. The knob is located near the input. If you turn the knob you can mix the solid state and valve preamps. Is your amp a model that uses the 7 band EQ? That model is all solid state. I have not had a problem with volume using my 1215. Maybe you'd be better off investing in an extension cabinet such as a 2x10. A tube preamp might make the amp sound warmer but it won't necessarily make it any louder.

3. Paul Lamont

Paul Lamont

Aug 9, 2000
    Hello Zoomboy,

Yes, indeed I use a 7 band equaliser. So it probably means it's all solid state.

I'm still figuring out how to get my 300 watt to be heard over a 100 watt Marshall JCM 900. I think I'll try out a new cabinet.

Paul L.